In order for your computer to recognize your device when you are connected via USB, you will first need to install the appropriate drivers. Here is what you will need to do to install drivers on a Windows computer:
1) Download and launch the latest version of Line 6 Monkey, which is your intelligent updater program for Line 6 gear. See the following link for more information on Line 6 Monkey:
Line 6 Monkey Installation and F.A.Q.
2) Turn off all other programs and disconnect all non-essential USB and Firewire devices (printers, cameras, mp3 players, etc.) from the computer (USB mouse and keyboard can be an exception if you do not have an alternative).
3) Launch Line 6 Monkey. If your unit is not connected (or there are no previous drivers installed), Monkey will ask you to choose the Line 6 device you wish to configure. For this tutorial we will select a Line 6 Guitarport from the dropdown menu.
4) Once the Guitarport is selected in the configuration window, select "OK".
5) In the Updates tab, highlight Drivers and select "Update Selection" on the right hand side of Line 6 Monkey's user interface.
6) Monkey will connect to our server and download the appropriate drivers for your Line 6 device.
6) After the drivers are downloaded, Line 6 Monkey will exit so the Driver Install Wizard can launch. Select "OK".
7) Once the Line 6 Monkey prompts you to plug your device in, the Windows Found New Hardware Wizard should open. Please follow the steps of the hardware wizard, and select "Next" to move to the next section.
8) If you are on a Windows machine you may be asked if you want to continue the install. Select "Continue Anyway" if you see this.
9) Wait for the wizzard to complete the installation
10) Once the hardware wizard has finished loading the drivers, your drivers should now be successfully installed. Select "finish"
11) Now when you run Line 6 Monkey, you will now see the drivers with a Green check mark next to them in the updates tab.
For more information on Drivers and how they work please follow the link below.
Sometimes it takes one more step to get the driver associated with the Line 6 Device.
First let's get to your Device Manager. Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
This will open the device manager.
Now you will see a yellow question mark just like the one below:
Right-click the question mark and select "Update Driver". Then follow the prompts for the driver installation.
If your driver install was unsuccessful, please make sure your computer isConfigured to use with a Line 6 Device.
for further assistance.