Jul 14, 2009 12:05 AM
I just bought an M13 and had it updated to 1.07 at the music store before I purchased it.
At first I wasn't real impressed with some of the factory patches but found I was easily able to change them to some really great sounding patches in most cases.
I bought the M13 as a portable light weight live unit, to replace my large studio pedalboard and rack gear which weighs a lot.
Here are some of the things I discovered that I think could be improved upon in future updates:
It says in the manual "loops play back in mono even if you are running stereo effects".
1. It would be great to have true stereo loops. It would be a good idea for you guys to take a look at all the features that were available on the old Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus. Loop IV, and consider adding them to your looper but in stereo.
Unless I am missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to hit one button and immediately erase a loop. You can stop it but it is still there. You can hit play once and it will play through and erase after 30 seconds.
2. You should be able to easily immediately erase a loop somehow.
To my ears the reverb sounds are not that good. I have been using a TC Nova Reverb with much better sounds to me.
3. Better sounding stereo reverbs.
I was surprised to discover that the M13 did not have a whammy pedal in it. It seems that almost every multi-effects pedal on the market has a whammy of some sort included.
4. Add a whammy pedal.
I was also surprised that the M13 did not have a clean octave pedal in it.
5. Add a clean octave pedal that can go up an octave, down an octave, up two octaves, or down 2 octaves, or down one octave and up one octave, and the ability to use an expression pedal with this patch, which would in effect give you a whammy pedal.
You can only use 4 effects at one time. One per row. So if you want to do something like run the tube comp, into a tube screamer, into a tube driver, into an octave fuzz, you have no effects left you can use, You can't add anything else like chorus, or delay, etc.
6. So the ability to use up to 12 effects at once, would be great, since there are 12 buttons.
7. I tried using a Korg EXP-2 extenison pedal and it didn't work at all. I am guessing you have to buy a line 6 pedal for it to work.
I was also surprised there wasn't an EQ pedal. It would be great to have a 4 band parametric eq, and a 6 band Boss type eq available.
8. Add an EQ pedal.
The majority of the pedals in the M13 are mono. It would be nice to have more stereo effects.
9. More stereo effects.
10. A delay set up like the new TC Repeater.
I use an Eric Johnson Stratocaster into two Vox Ac 30 top boost amps. When going through the M13, even with all the pedals turned off it changes the sound I am use to hearing. All of the sparkle is gone. Like putting you hands over your ears. All of the multi-effects units I have tried so far have the same problem. Plug your guitar straight into the M13 and turn off all the effects and listen to the sound of your amp. Then unlpug your guitar and plug it straight into a good sounding clean tube amp and you will hear what I am talking about. I was able to correct it for the most part by adding a demeter compressor after my guitar and in front of the M13, but I don't want to have to carry any extra pedals.
11. Make it so your guitar and amp sound are not degraded at all.
When you are recording with the 1.07 version looper and hit the reverse or 1/2 speed functions, the looper automatically takes you out of record mode and puts you into play mode. I don't like that at all.
12. Make it so the looper only goes out of record when you want it to, by hitting the play button. or give us the option to choose how we want the pedals to function on the looper.
13. Make it so you can assign the effects loop to be turned on or off for each different scene, or globally.
These next two ideas couldn't be done in an update, but are ideas for the next Pro generation of the M13:
14. For the next Pro generation of the M13. Add a USB port.
15. For the next Pro generation of the M13 add two expression pedals to it
From all the suggestions I made it might sound like I really hate the M13, but I don't. I like it and there are some great sounds in it.
In fact I found some unique sounds that are possible on the M13.
I noticed from browsing different forums that the people at line 6 really seem top take notice and listen to any good ideas that their customers have.
I think a lot of the ideas I suggested might be easily done, and make the M13 even better.
Are they already working on a new update beyond 1.07? if so. when might this be out?
Are they planning on coming out with a whole new Pro or Plus version of the M13? if so, when?
All the very best!