Currently Being ModeratedJan 24, 2011 11:30 AM (in response to Lespaulidas)Re: DT50 - channel B - and the HD500
According to the Connectivity Guide, the correct output setting for the HD500 is Combo Power Amp for the 1-12 and 2-112 DT50's, and Stack Power Amp for the DT50 head. Try that as a starting point and see if that helps.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 25, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to Lespaulidas)Re: DT50 - channel B - and the HD500
I am a DT50/HD500 user too and the rig is some how quite tricky due to missing informations all around the DT50-control running with a POD/HDXXX.
As far as I know Line6 is working on additional papers to clarify the set up for that (see thread "DT50-control" in the POD/HD Tech Forum). If this will answer all all open questions - I don't know. What I can give you is my way/experiences to deal with the rig up to now to get a decent DT50 tone that works for me. But as always: ears and experience is different, so there is no garantee that this will work for you too.
1. I give up trying to run an original DT50-voicing via the channel B option with NO AMP assigned to a FS. I mimic ALL DT50-voicings ONLY with the appropriate a HD/PRE model. WHY:
- The logic of the complete system just works that way.
- I couldn't handle the HUGE volume level difference in ONE patch with 2 amps with ONLY 1 mixer (e.g. VOX-AC 30 when AMP on and Treadplate channel b voicing IV). That's a knock out to me as a live oriented musician (and tha is the reason why i bought the rig).
- The FX-control just works in PRE amp mode (you cannot run FXs post amp, e.g. a delay when you turn AMP OFF by switching to channel B on the DT50).
2. If you run the DT50 without the POD/HD direct with your guitar i figured out that the DT50 EQing is DIFFERENT to the POD/HD EQing by using a pre amp model.
So when your dialing in a tone via the POD/HD pre amp model you should have somewhere stored your original DT50 audio sound to compare it to your tone you are dialing in on the POD/HD (this is strange to me, because the EQing should have been the same - at least to my grazy brain).
3. I use 4 out of 16 amps on the POD/HD. And these are more or less the ones which are producing the DT50-voicings (that's at least the official statement from LINE6 as far as I am aware on it). So I use: BF Double (Voicing I), JCM800 (instead of Park-75 = voicing II), VOX-AC 30 (voicing III), Treadplate (voicing IV).
I do not use dual amps. I just use the single amp models.
For the Treadplate (voicing IV) you are in trouble with these are my settings. With them I am in a good pool position. May be this can help you:
- Treadplate PRE amp model, default cab/mic sim on,
- output settings like you (PowerCombo),
- EQing (this is one out of 3 I have): DRV: 60%; Bass: 75%, Mid: 72%; Treb: 69%, Pres: 0%, volume: 25% (at home), around 50% for Live
- Mixer: + 4db both channels; PAN A = 0%; PAN B = 0% (other values affect the tone).
voicing IV, Class A/B, Pentode (this is the recommended DT50-setting for voicing IV). It will be stored with the POD/HD patch.
master volume 20-25% (minimum at home); around 50% and above for live.
Apart of these irritiations, open questions, self-testings. etc. I am still satisfied with the DT50/HD500-rig. It gives me so much flexibilty and great sounds as a coverband live-musician. And I am looking foward to new fw-releases to get things more smoother.
I hope I could have helped you with a new idea to run the original DT50 voicngs. As I said: I consequently to it with a pre amp model, because that is way the system works.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 25, 2011 8:58 AM (in response to wolbai)Re: DT50 - channel B - and the HD500
Thank you very much for the well written thoughtful post! Sounds like we are in the same boat a little. Let me just say I am not dis-satisfied with my purchases of the POD HD-500 and the DT-50, I am merely just trying to push them to their potential for the tone I like. So any criticism I throw around, is not to bash the product, but simply to throw ideas around, and see what happens. I like to hear unbiased feedback from like minded guys like you, which gives me new ideas! Also, I'm sure these products will get better with age, as new firmware is released. The versatility the POD-DT combination has is awesome! I'm just another guy looking for my "main tone" to always fall back on as my fav. So far, my fav tone has been just to bypass the pods preamp and use the DT50. The guitar definitely responds differently. However, I am no way saying all the POD tones suck, in fact I believe the opposite. Just trying to capture my favorite I found with this gear and STORE it.
I will take the info you nicely explained and try to use it to my advantage for my setup. I am close to already doing most of the stuff you recommend, or have tried it already. Thanks again!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 26, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to Lespaulidas)Re: DT50 - channel B - and the HD500
I am home sick and so playing as usual....
but I have a email from a line 6 employee answering my questions...and on my thread relating to preamps
and the line 6 employee has it wrong your right wolbai
I have been trying over and over for freaking all my free time trying to make the jtm 45 sound like the 75 and it could
never have the extra balls to sound like the amp itself.
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 9, 2011 2:47 AM (in response to jpzardini)Re: DT50 - channel B - and the HD500
I have a problem connection between my head and my HD 500 with the canal B, the canal A is working fine
Any suggestion ??
well can you explain the problem? then maybe we can help. perhaps it's best to start your own discussion to focus on your issue rather than starting to talk about it in this other thread.