Currently Being ModeratedNov 19, 2011 9:33 PM (in response to mqueluz)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
I've had my DT25(head and cab) and HD500 for a week now and find that I prefer the full models to the pre's, with a few exceptions. But there are so many empty preset slots, l'm saving both versions. I also feel the Combo Poweramp setting has the most clarity. Because the topologies have quite different volume levels, Ive been adding the Tube Comp to boost the clean patches. I add the boost at the end of the chain or it overwhelms the delay.
This a seriously kickass rig and I'm loving getting my tones together. I have to force myself to stop tweaking and just jam sometimes...There's just so much it can do, it's painful to describe all the steps you take to get to know it. I'll estimate I've made 1000 edits/moves/saves for just 6 patches in 1 week. Keep at it,love it!
Two recommendations. Set your foot switches to 5-8 for more effect toggling access and buy a Line6 Epression Pedal. It's pretty great to control multiple effects parameters. For example, it sounds kind of rad to have the expression pedal control the delay feedback and pitch shifter at the same time on a heavy, dryTreadplate patch (so as the pitch rises the echo increase). I'll write you back after I've worked at it a bit more. I'm very excited to become an expert with these tools!
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 3:35 AM (in response to mqueluz)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
I use a DT50/212 + HD500 for nearly 1 year.
My tips / tricks - if you would call it this way - for you:
1. Pre amp models are my preferred models to achieve a tube driven distortion sound. I use standard cab/mic sims on. This is the standard operating mode to start with. Using full amp models generates distortion on a very much lower volume level, but has a higher part of modelling in the overall tone building and it sound different (for me not so perfectly to a tube driven amp. In addition using full amp models can cause distortion in clean tones at higher volume level, because you DOUBLE the power section (1 time with the modelling; second with the analog power section). Furthermore Pre amp models are the recommended models if you want to mimic the 4 Voicings of the DT50/25.
In addition I use the master volume knob not pulled out.
Problem to solve: pre amp models comes to shine if the power section of the amp achieves a saturation level. This could be a fairly loud volume level. I use a power attenuator for that.
2. Using the right output mode is also a main component when it comes to the overall tone. The HD500 automatically switches to the right mode depending on your Line6 amp. In my case its Combo Power Amp. Yours should be Stack Power amp - if i remember right. I would recommend to start with the automatically assigned output mode.
3. The Treadplate pre amp model has voicing 3 assigned. I feel - like others in this forum - that changing to voicing 4 sounds more identical / realistic to the treadplate amp respectively to the original voicing 4 of the DT50/25 in a standalone mode (I have stored voicing 4 for all Treadplate presets).
4. Do not use too much amp models: I have reduced to 4 (very likely in near future to 3). Bare in mind that it takes quite a of time to understand 1 original amp. The complexity in sound differences between those amps can be hugh. So for me: simplcity was/is a key factor to handle this rig. (my subjective opinion - but that's what you have asked for).
5. I have no fizz or hizz problem you have described. There are a lot of discussions on this forum all around fizz / hiss and different root causes. I am happy to say that this is no real problem for me.
Finally: using the rig is very wide open. Very less rules. Very less recommendations from LINE6 regarding "standard configuration to start with" (or have I missed something?). It is mainly up to your own ears and maybe to some personal recommendations in this forum you can benefit from.
Good luck & Rock On!
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 6:39 AM (in response to mqueluz)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
Make sure you have installed OS1.4 on your HD500, it has DT25/50 presets now, good place to start!
The 1 cable connection (I use a digital cable rather than a mike, no idea if it makes a differnce, just had one laying around) is amazing- no going back!
Currently Being ModeratedDec 15, 2011 4:21 AM (in response to mqueluz)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
Sorry taking you back to this topic but i've had too much touble lately with DT25 and HD300 working together.
It happens that i love the 4 voicings of the DT25 but... When i take the HD300 linked to the amp, turning the full to preamp setting on setup, matching the preset eq ( including presence knob ) as channel B on DT, and going thru all the 22 amps on HD i dont seem to get the exact same sound thats expected as being told around here.
For a true reference, can you explicit describe the correct amps and the respective tweaks i have to put on HD300 to get 4 preset patches exactly the same as the 4 voicings on DT25?
thanks a lot!
Currently Being ModeratedMar 29, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to aeugle)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
Looking at the history of this thread, the reasons no one helped are:
- the person who you are responding to asked his question in a thread that someone else had originated, who had already marked the thread indicating that he had received helpful answers.
- he did so about a month a month later (and you are now dropping in more than three months after that).
This thread is long gone in terms of people paying attention to it - the original question was answered months ago.
gnfriere, if you're still here and having trouble, please start your own thread and mark it as a question.
Same for you, aeugle - are you actually having a problem you want help with? Your motivation for the post you just made to a months-old question that has already been answered is not clear.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 29, 2012 11:11 PM (in response to silverhead)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
ok fair remarks. My motivation is that I realized that in this thread there is still the same open question I have.
Let me summarize:
Some of the experts here tell that the DT25 standalone with his 4 voicings sound exactly the same as when connected to a HD500 using line 6 link.
And than I as someone in this old thread asked the same question (but for a HD300):
What is still open in my opinion is that someone of the experts should post the 4 patches for a HD500 for reference.
If they have already tested and proofed this should be not a big task in my opinion.
But still sorry and I regret if I did anything wrong here
Currently Being ModeratedMar 30, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to aeugle)Re: 1st day with DT25 + POD HD500 - Questions
You did nothing wrong - I was just trying to explain why there were no responses to gnfriere.
But as I indicated, if you actually want responses to your question you should start a new thread, describe what your concern is, ask your question, and mark the thread as a question (this last part is very important).