Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 2:21 AM (in response to jacetaylor)Re: Connecting HD Pro to tube amp head?
For a Direct Connection into your amp's power amp: the Cable hookup is
Guitar --> HD500 In
HD500 Left 1/4" Out --> Amp FX Loop return
The Amp FX Loop Return may also be labelled as 'Power Amp In'. Make sure that the Amp Loop is turned on. If the loop has a switch allowing you to choose between stompbox level (-10dB) or line level (+4dB) then set it to line level.
Note: You may (or may not) need a 'dummy' patch cable plugged into the Amp FX Send/Pre-Amp Out socket to make the loop work. The other end of the cable is not plugged into anything.
If the amp has a 'Parallel' Loop then turn it to 100% Effected/Wet. Some Parallel Loops (e.g. Bognor Alchemist) always have a mix between effected and uneffected signal even with the parallel loop level at 100% and these can cause problems with your tone. Most effect loops are still 'Serial' and these tend to work better with MultiFx.
The HD setup goes
- 1/4" Out switch = 'amp' (if the output is way to quiet then you may need to go up to to 'line')
- Master Knob = 100% on.
- Output = 'Combo Power Amp' or 'Stack Power Amp' as appropriate (this is found and changed in the HD System Settings)
- Normal/Pad switch = 'Normal' unless you hear unwanted clipping distortion then turn to 'Pad'
- Mixer panned centre at 0dB. Increase the volume until the level seems about right
- If your guitar pickups are very hot and you hear 'unmusical' clipping distortion then you might want to set your input settings to Input 1 = Guitar, Input 2 = Variax
You would nearly always want to use an Amp Model turned on. Without one the setup will sound very dead. Start by using a 'Pre' model (listed after the full amps in the list of amps) and see how that sounds.