Currently Being ModeratedOct 15, 2012 4:32 PM (in response to Scavanger)Re: Need some help in EQing
It would be better if you could post a clip demonstrating, with your guitar and pickups, what the problem is. Tone file sharing is great and all, but without your specific setup we're just guessing.
Currently Being ModeratedOct 15, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to Karl_Houseknecht)Re: Need some help in EQing
You are right. My guitar isESP LTD MH-1000FR/ EMG PU
I use POD HD500 and reaper. I will try to record a track and upload it here.
Anyway, basic ideas about EQing to get a metal tone can be helpful.
Currently Being ModeratedOct 16, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to meambobbo)Re: Need some help in EQing
Thank you for the site seems useful and well done!
I'm trying to get a metalcore tone same as Andy James' tone. Can I get it using the POD HD500 and the guide in website above? I have tried some of the metalcore patches from the website, but they are not close for the tone that I want. I do not know how to describe the characteristics of his tone. It is in the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TvB7sUO5gc
I hope you can help me getting that tone since you are professional user of the POD HD500.
Sorry for burdening you.
Edit: Sound recording has been uploaded using the POD HD500 preset as a an attempt to get a metalcore tone like Andy's tone.Attachments:
- KSE tone test.mp3 (703.6 K)
Currently Being ModeratedOct 17, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to Scavanger)Re: Need some help in EQing
hey man, several problems i'm seeing in your patch.
1) Noise Gate is set up high. The standard "Noise Gate" is not just a gate, it's a "noise reducer" and can suck tone when Threshold is as high as you have it. Use a Hard Gate for a true gate without tone suck.
2) Screamer settings seem crazy. With the EMG-81 I assume you have in the bridge (which I'm assuming you're using for your rhythm tone), you should have a high output, bright tone. From the clips I listened to, I would have guessed you had a Fred or something dark as your pickup. Your Screamer settings are making the patch way too dark. I would leave Bass at 50% or lower it maybe to 40%. But really, the Bass/Treble settings don't even exist on a real Screamer. The Tone knob is what everyone uses to get their ideal filter tone. Start with Bass, Treble, and Tone at 50% and move tone up and down until things start sounding where you want them.
3) Everything has too much gain. You shouldn't need that much at all. Usually people use a Screamer or boost pedal in front with 0% to 15% Drive - that keeps the pedal from adding distortion, just a bit of compression. It acts as a filter/mids-boost, which causes your amp to distort differently - tighter and more focused. I suggest starting with 0% Drive, 100% output, and then toying with the amp Drive starting at 50%.
4) Input Settings Guitar+Aux means you're getting the noise of Aux into your tone. Set Input 1 to just guitar. Set Input 2 to Variax.
5) Why do you want to use Dual Amps? I'm not a fan of this - I find they interfere with each other more than anything. I see you have them panned hard left/right. I would focus on one good mono tone first. Then make another. If you want them on the same track, record them separately. True double-tracking always sounds better than panning 2 tones hard left/right.
6) Why are you using the "pre" models? If you're trying for a direct tone, you will probably prefer the "full" models - they have more bite and aggression to my ear.
I cover all of these topics in the guide I linked you to. At the top and bottom of the page are links back to the table of contents. Go there, and you can access everything in-depth. Or just read through the "quick guide" page. It's labeled II. Quick Guide.
Currently Being ModeratedOct 17, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to meambobbo)Re: Need some help in EQing
and here's my last killswitch patch:
it needs an update, but it's pretty good as is.
Currently Being ModeratedOct 17, 2012 8:09 PM (in response to meambobbo)Re: Need some help in EQing
I appreciate your notes. I believe that you are understanding what I'm trying to achieve.
I use the pre models because I have tried the full models and I have found them noisy and lacking djenty. Perhaps, I could not tweak them correctly.
I will try to tweak the patch that i have paid according to your notes and guide. Also, I will try your KSE patch. I'm trying to get a tone similar to that one in their song "The End of Heartache". Hopefully, it is meant in your patch .