Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lost in the mix- which EQ?

zaphodboy

I run 2 main drive patches in my band, both pretty basic. The first one uses a Park model with moderate drive which works really well. My problem is that in a live situation my other main patch which is a Park with Tube Drive gets lost in the mix. I think the problem probably lies in the mids but I'd be really interested if anyone has some tips and/or settings using some of the HD500 EQs to cut through. Also, if you use an EQ where in the chain do you put it?

Thanks guys.....

Without hearing your tone and how it's sitting in the mix it's hard to say.  The typical problem is 600 to 800 hz muddiness.  The EQ issue may not even be you.  It may be everyone else's EQ.  I had a bass player who always had too much midrange in his EQ and it would kill everything in the mix.

All EQs let you boost and/or cut certain aspects of the frequency range (lows, through mids, to highs). The specific options you get is what changes per EQ model, but often, you can do what you need with any of them.

The end goal of "cutting through" live is usually achieved through boosting somewhere in the mids to high-mids (say, somewhere around 1kHz to 8kHz depending on the situation) relative to the lows/highs.

That could be done in any number of ways with various EQ models - for example, you could cut the lows and highs, then increase the overall volume level, to achieve a similar result.

If you're interested in diving in to the intricacies of EQ methods and approaches, you might enjoy these videos:

Thanks,

Matt