Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flying solo in Mainstage

BlueViolince

I just built the patches in Mainstage that effectively replace my most used tones in my HD500. The only downside is the lack of hardware.  Gonna get an expression pedal dongle(audiofront.net), and use my Nanopad for selecting patches and tempo.  Everything will fit in my briefcase, which I'm very happy about.

It was originally a plugin for Logic.  It has amp modelling, effects, and access to whatever AU plugins you already own, in addition to Mainstage's full set of mixing plugs.  All you need is a recording interface with low latency, and you can add whatever USB MIDI controllers you want to use.  I experience no noticeable latency with my setup.  This all fits into my briefcase with headphones when I'm traveling, and it takes up much less floor space for smaller venues.  Think of it as similar to running Amplitube on a Mac instead of an iPhone, with higher bit depth (24 bit vs 16 bit for amplitube), better processors and effects, and choice of better convertors than the iPhone's headset jack.  So something I would actually consider using live.  It sounds just as good as my Pod, and I was already using my laptop for post compression/EQ.

• 1 month later...

I use MS for my keys.  I've toyed with it's guitar tones and been very impressed.

HOWEVER it would be a ton of work to map out the controls for a footboard.  It's a constant headache to keep my keyboard controls matched up correctly.  Extremely powerful but not exactly low maintenance.