Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sd Card Recording And Mixing On M20d

Hi there,

I just took a Look at the user's manual for theM20d, but couldn't find an answer to my question so I decided to put this into the forums.

Is it possible to record to USB or SD instead of the internal memory and use this recording to do a FOH soundcheck using the iPad App?

We just thought about recording a few important songs and then play them all to do a soundcheck, because we have some very different styles we play.

just remember that the volume needs to be so loud that you cant hear any of the instruments out front. If you can hear the drums accousticly (even just a litte) its a bit hard to get the sound just right. :)

this is not a problem if we´re talking big venues. but in the smaller ones it can be a little tricky.

I do loooove the feature. it gives us all a chance to get a clear picture of the sound, and the possibility to tweek if we´re not 100% satisfied whith how our own instrument sounds. :)

just remember that the volume needs to be so loud that you cant hear any of the instruments out front. If you can hear the drums accousticly (even just a litte) its a bit hard to get the sound just right. :)

this is not a problem if we´re talking big venues. but in the smaller ones it can be a little tricky.

I do loooove the feature. it gives us all a chance to get a clear picture of the sound, and the possibility to tweek if we´re not 100% satisfied whith how our own instrument sounds. :)

For myself, I have not played in a venue large enough (never more than 400 person capacity) that would allow such a volume where no stage sound is present out front. If you want to use the board for a complete sound check, you will need to consider stage sound (but I completely agree that the band with the quietest stage sound, will have the best front end sound).

We play in a situation where everyone has a pretty good quality sound on stage, and we use the sound check to tweak sound a bit out front, but even moreso to check levels. I love to be able to sit out front, and solo the instruments to get a good sound. But playing it back as a recording, you will find (or extremely likely to find unless all are "direct in" instruments) that the vocals are much louder than the rest of the band. Due to the fact that during playback, you have no stage volume. I made this mistake ONCE. We all listened and said "great, but vocals are loud". So we mixed them in and went home. Came back to start show, and vocals were too quiet out front. So now, because I sing, play bass, and do the sound, I do the sound check standing out front while recording, and only get on stage to be sure that some of my vocals are recorded too (I am not lead singer on all songs). Then, when I know levels are ok, I use the recording to tweak sounds, in two steps. I mute the vocals and get the instruments mixed and sounding well (but usually it is already ok as I do this during the live sound check) and then I mix my voice to the level of the other singer. Vocals are much louder than the rest of the band, but I know they are the right level. Now that I have already done this, our sound checks take about 5min of the bands time. As long as we have signal from everyone, that's all I need to know. I use the same recording now for any venue.

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider this during our soundcheck for our first gig with the M20d.

But since we are just a three man acoustic band with 2 acoustic guitars and percussions. Sometimes one of our guitarists plays bass. All directly connected to the M20d without guitar or bass amps, so stage sound off the stage will be a minor issue during a "recorded soundcheck" I think. At least I hope so :)

That's correct bassman24, it'll be much less of an issue.  The only issue I can see is with the percussion what sort of percussion is it?

My band runs everything direct including electronic drums so our virtual sound check is pretty accurate.  It's a great feature, we do the same thing standing up on stage for monitor mixes.

It´s only Cajon, Compact-Conga (it`s only a frame with drumhead, like a frame drum and without shell) and some shakers and so on for percussion, so all not as loud as "normal" drums. The Conga and Cajon have their own drum-mics and the hand percussion I´m going to pickup with a SM58, beause sometimes I do also backing vocals. The preset for Cajon of the M20d is pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I love good sound. I wish our drummer would go the electric route. He is not "anti electronic". Just can't justify spending the money as a weekend warrior. Guess I can't blame him.

Indeed, it would be a very accurate, virtual sound check when everything is direct. Stage volume is very likely much lower than FOH. It also generally becomes a much better FOH sound as well!