Photo

Spider Valve Hd100 Mod Questions / Overheating Dsp Fix

spider valve hd100 led dsp

Best Answer OmeRoon , 11 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

And it did! We had a great gig, no problems at all.

Problem solved, case closed!  ;)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 StephanCombrink

StephanCombrink

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi There.

My cousin entrusted me with repairing/modyfying his amp to a usable state. He has the Line6 Spider Valve 112 and was told by other technicians that the DSP chip need replacement but wouldn't want to take the risk themselves since they are scared that the heat used in removing the chip will damage the components near it.

I have not powered up the amp yet since I don't have a guitar to test it with and I'm not sure what can be used as a valid test signal.

The DSP board has the same text written underneath the ribon cable connector ( A15: SV MAIN    #35-00-0250    REV A 8June2007)  I'm still waiting for my cousin to get back to me as to what he experienced was wrong with it.

I also noticed that the two resistors R58 and R59 looks 'burnt' they are covered under glue but there is yellowish marks and the value markings of the resistors aren't that readable anymore

Is there maybe an indepth manual to the electronics? (long shot, I admit)

Any Hints?

The heatsink mod seems very good. well done :)

Thanks

#22 OmeRoon

OmeRoon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

I also noticed some "burnt" stuff on the board (especially on the back) but closer inspection revealed it was only burned glue; the actual resistors were fine. So I guess it just got a bit too hot. Also: the re are some aluminium "spacers" that have a dual function: besides keeping the DSP board of the casing, they are also heatsinks. They are connected to the LM1086 regulators on the DSP board (and those can get pretty hot). You can see them on the first picture in this thread. The burnt glue/silicon/whatever was on the back of these.

If you can post an image of the R58 / R59 maybe someone else can help you out? If the markings on their resistors are still visible you should be able to find out what you (might) need.

The heatsink works really good btw. so if overheating is the problem I'd recommend to try that first as the DSP board is pretty expensive. ;-)

Check out my band: http://www.3rdmachine.com

#23 dannpritchard1

dannpritchard1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

Hey there,

Off topic, but do you have any pictures from the front with your LED strip and colour mods, been thinking about doing the same to mine?

Thanks.

#24 OmeRoon

OmeRoon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

front.jpg

Only got this one. Later I spraypainted the inside of the mesh at the back with silver/gunmetal like glossy paint so it reflects the red light a bit more. 

Check out my band: http://www.3rdmachine.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users