16 replies to this topic

#1 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

I will start by saying I am forever a line 6 fanatic from all my experiences with the stagesource rig and microphones. However, I am very frustrated at the moment. I finally set up a dedicated router inside my road case with my board to prevent the connectivity issues directly to ipad. Now I have a new issue and I am at my wits end. I am trying to connect the wifi to the new router but it is stuck attaching itself to the router I use in the house when I am recording. And to top it off, once it connects to that router I can't do anything else wireless, not even switch back to standalone. When I view wireless networks and try to select any other network it asks for the key and then just stays on the original network not even trying to reconnect. 

I have tried a factory reset, tried starting with and without the wireless dongle plugged in. Nothing changes. I am hoping someone here knows how to erase the wireless history from the board so it no longer auto connects to the previous network. I have even tried unplugging the home router and the board still tries to connect to it and will not do anything else. Other than that I love this board, it is the best thing I have ever had the joy of using in a live environment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

We share your pain... (Which helps nobody ! )  :wacko:

My only thought would be to attempt the "elimination from suspicion" of some anomaly that attends your WiFi USB device itself, as distinct from solely concentrating on your M20d.

It's a long shot, but it might be worth looking at how that dongled device behaves when pairing a range of WiFi accessible devices to a laptop or notebook via USB. Doing so may also allow it to be interrogated via "settings" and/or "preferences". 

Edited by RonMarton, 18 June 2013 - 04:10 AM.
Added "...pairing a range of WiFi accessible devices..."

#3 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I probably should have mentioned. I have done this, all my wireless devices connect to all the others with no issues. I have even gone so far as to connect the Linksys adapter to my laptop and all 3 of my desktops and it works fine. The board being stuck on one network seems to really indicate to me that it is the culprit. I have to wonder if it is maybe defective.. Thank you for your suggestions.

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

...I have done this...

...The board being stuck on one network seems to really indicate to me that it is the culprit. I have to wonder if it is maybe defective....

Your reply makes me sorry on two counts, Clive010...

1. Having stated the obvious (sometimes necessary for other readers of these discussion) and
  2. That it indeed does seem that you'll need to surrender your M20d for service.

#5 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hey, zero need for apologies. I've worked in customer service and tech support for years. First rule is always ask the obvious questions. Fortunately, I live in Canada and deal with Long and Mcquade which has the greatest warranty service on the planet. They will most likely hand me a new board and send the old one away for servicing. My only real concern, there are 5 of us in edmonton that I know of using these boards. I'm going to be the 3rd of them to rma this board. I'm a little worried.

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

...I'm going to be the 3rd of them to rma this board. I'm a little worried.

I'd have similar concerns under those circumstances, clive010...

As you suggest, it is indeed starting to sound like there may have been some "across the board" (excuse the pun) quality control issues with a run of M20d's.

Aside from Long & McQuade's customary great service, it may also comfort you to know that the main reason for my ongoing involvement with this forum is Line 6's long history of providing ongoing support to clients like us, ...unlike some other suppliers and manufacturers.

#7 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm glad to hear there's a solid support network within Line 6 as well. I am a big fan of the products and next to my full stagesource rig I use a v75 as my stage mic and I own several guitar products. This is the first real issue I have had with any of them.

#8 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

When you say you are "trying to connect the wifi" to the router, i assume you mean a usb dongle plugged int the m20d? if the router is in your rack anyway, why not pick up the USB to ethernet adapter and plug straight into the router? I know it doesn't solve the issue, but it is a permanent workaround. Or at least a way to test the whole networking issue and see if it is a problem when it is wired. And if you don't want to stay that way, just take back the adapter when you see if it works or not.

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

...why not pick up the USB to ethernet adapter and plug straight into the router? ...

Great suggestion, Digital-sound...

...And if it were me, I'd keep that adapter, along with a length of Cat.5 or Cat.6, in my "road bag" (or somewhere in my road case) for exactly such "work arounds" whenever WiFi problems might manifest themselves.

"Just in case" being exactly the case, ...er, ...in this case.

#10 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

i don't even bother with the USB wifi stick anymore.  I bought it, discovered that if there is other wifi in the room it's really difficult to make a connection and then went and got the USB to ethernet adaptor and a spare airport express wifi router.  I would never even try to use the dongle wifi ever again.  There's just no comparison, you open the app on the ipad and your immediately connected.  In my band we've had all 4 of us hooked up with ipads at the same time, all controlling our own monitor mixes...  Nothing like it...

I think in this case Line 6 would be doing a favour to users if they didn't even market the use of the USB dongles, I mean you can get them to work in the right circumstances ... but it's really a perfect example of "don't send a boy in to do a man's job."

#11 jeanpicasso

jeanpicasso

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

after trying ALOT of different WIFI dongles with different results (none of them really great), I decided to follow the advice from someone on these boards about using the apple airport express with a usb -> rj45 adaptor. This solution is by far the most stabile solution.

#12 sax42

sax42

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

why does Line 6 further recommend these wifi-stick's?
They are not working without problems - in a gig-Room with 150 mobiles and other wifi routers in the air.
Since i bought Airport Express as the last chance - everything is fine!!!! (I placed it hidden in the mixer-case under the m20d)
Fast connection and -reconnection with iPad's, and the best "Error-Free". So - buy - install - and forget :)

#13 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, I refuse to spend any more money on apple products, even the ipad was swallowing my pride. Not a fan on a technical basis. That said I will go pick up a USB to ethernet dongle and try it with the router in the case and see if it works. Though I was really diggin the idea of a full wireless functionality in the event I need to move the router out of the road case. Thanks for all the posts and suggestions gentlemen. I really appreciate it. 

#14 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well, I refuse to spend any more money on apple products, even the ipad was swallowing my pride. Not a fan on a technical basis. That said I will go pick up a USB to ethernet dongle and try it with the router in the case and see if it works. Though I was really diggin the idea of a full wireless functionality in the event I need to move the router out of the road case. Thanks for all the posts and suggestions gentlemen. I really appreciate it.

Well, you will be happy to know the one I have is not apple. It is Moshi. And it will work with your linksys router. No apple needed....unless you want a snack!

#15 clive010

clive010

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

That's delightful, should work great with my D-Link then. I'll go get a dongle on Saturday and try it out. Now if only there was a remote android app.........

#16 sebelkin

sebelkin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

I've done much of the same.  WiFi dongles weren't consistent enough.  Mounted a Linksys router inside my road case and used an ethernet to USB adapter * short cat-5 cable (I power both off a Furman conditioner, also in the rack).  I'd suggest giving the router time to fully boot up before powering on the M20d.

I also found that programming the router to use a different WiFi channel than the "Linksys default" would help prevent conflicts/connection issues at venues that have WiFi for in-house and/or guests.

#17 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I also have sufferd of lost of remote control with my USB wiki key Linksys AE1000. I have ordered today the APPLE EXPRESS router with USB/RJ45 connector...One USB key for sell...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users