Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why do Variax JTV-69 models cost vary by color?

I noticed that the black JTV-69 is cheaper then the white/blue/red models. I can understand why the 3 tone burst finish is more money, but not why the other color models are higher cost. Are they the same except for the color? 

thanks,

mark

I was informed by a a retailer that the cheap black models that are on sale are actually closeouts (discontinued) models with rosewood necks and the new models have maple necks. Is that accurate? Was there any issues with the rosewood necks? 

I was informed by a a retailer that the cheap black models that are on sale are actually closeouts (discontinued) models with rosewood necks and the new models have maple necks. Is that accurate? Was there any issues with the rosewood necks? 

They haven't made a regular 69 with a maple neck, and I haven't heard any news that says they are planning to. They do make the 69S with a maple neck, though.

Some people did have problems with the necks on some of early 69 models. The nut is pretty narrow to begin with, and there was some issue with the fret bevel making it easy for the E strings to slip off. They did make some changes to the neck. It wasn't really an issue with the rosewood, though. It's just that all the original 69 guitars had rosewood necks.

Just to be clear. The current production neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, right? The older models had a completely rosewood neck and there's a variation of the 69s with a comply maple neck (my personal favorite). Is that correct?

Just to be clear. The current production neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, right? The older models had a completely rosewood neck and there's a variation of the 69s with a comply maple neck (my personal favorite). Is that correct?

As far as I know, the 69 necks have always been a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. I actually have never heard of any neck on any guitar being made completely of rosewood. That doesn't mean it's not possible, I suppose. Typically, though, I think when people say "rosewood neck" they are using it to say a neck with a rosewood fingerboard.

EDIT: I just went and looked it up, and I guess solid rosewood necks are actually a thing. They're not all that common, though, it looks like. I'm pretty comfortable saying that no JTV model ever had one.

They haven't made a regular 69 with a maple neck, and I haven't heard any news that says they are planning to. They do make the 69S with a maple neck, though.

Some people did have problems with the necks on some of early 69 models. The nut is pretty narrow to begin with, and there was some issue with the fret bevel making it easy for the E strings to slip off. They did make some changes to the neck. It wasn't really an issue with the rosewood, though. It's just that all the original 69 guitars had rosewood necks.

Do you mean maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard? The 69 has a maple neck w/ a rosewood fingerboard, and there is a black model of the 69s (maybe others) that has a maple neck and fingerboard. 

And I just received a new 69 today with string spacing closer to the high E side, which makes the high E slip off the neck rather easily (I made another thread about these issues). The previous 69 I had to return did NOT have this issue. If this is the neck issue in question, it's possible that there are 69 models out there that still have it.