23 replies to this topic

#1 jfesta73

jfesta73

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

I bought a G90 about 9 months ago and really love it.  The issue I have been having lately is sometimes when I move suddenly on stage, everything cuts out completely.  The receiver goes red for about 3-5 seconds and then comes back on. 

Keep in mind, I when I say move suddenly I do not mean that I am jumping off the stage, or blocking the LOS.  Even if I just move to the left or right, it just cuts out.  I am thinking there may be an issue with the transmitter but this is REALLY hard to duplicate as it is intermittent.  I have tried changing frequencies, I changed the cables (including the cable from the guitar to the body pack).  The only devices that have not been replaced is the transmitter and the receiver.  Any thoughts?

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

...this is REALLY hard to duplicate as it is intermittent...

Ah !

Everybody's "favourite", ...the intermittent fault !  :rolleyes:

First of all, try to figure if the start of this misbehaviour happened to coincide with the arrival of some new device that may be radiating RF in your 2.4GHz spectrum.

Second, performing a "Channel Scan" (as set out under the "Channel Select & Cable Tone" heading of your "G90 Wireless Receiver Pilot's Handbook) http://line6.com/sup...anuals/relayg90 may well shed more light, especially if you can arrange to do it immediately upon experiencing a recurrence of this fault.   

#3 jfesta73

jfesta73

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Good points!  No new devices have been added and this behavior isn't occuring at only one location.  I will try the channel scan and see if that helps out before each set.   The only problem is that this happens right in the middle of a live set, so I don't have the time or luxury to troubleshoot it when it happens.  Thanks for the reply!

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Just double-checking, to ensure that when you say...

...No new devices have been added and this behavior isn't occuring at only one location...

...You're including such things as wireless access points, routers, networked printers (maybe "next door") and/or such recently added gear as other band-members may have brought to gigs.

(Things like phones, tablets, depleted uranium ammunition ...and/or your drummer's arsenal of nuclear warheads.)

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

When the receiver RF LEDs go to red then back to green it means it has lost sync with the transmitter. If this is happening from movement my best guess is that there is a mechanical problem with the transmitter

What firmware version are you running?

#6 Backjonas4

Backjonas4

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

I went out and bought not just one but four of the G90's. And they all have dropouts and one of the beltpacks also have the well known problem we used to have with the G30 beltpacks. I have to use ducttape to make sure the battery stays connected. I was supposed to use these with a band who is constantly touring and is doing shows in front of stadiumsized crowds. I experience dropouts on both active and passive guitars and basses, and in venues with almost no wireless interference. I have turned down the input gain, changed channels, changed batteries, changed amps, and now currently use my old AKG wireless just because it works. This G90 should be performing straight out of the box, but is soon to be sent back in that box.

#7 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Did you ever turn on more than one transmitter at a time?

What rev is the firmware in the receiver and the transmitter? Which mode are you operating in? I need to know for all units that might have been turned on at the same time.

How did you determine there was no RF interference in the venues?

It's difficult to give you any kind of answer if I don't know the answers to all of these questions. I agree with you that it should work right out of the box but if it has newer firmware that offers a choice of RF modes you have to select the appropriate one for the venue.

#8 rcbar55

rcbar55

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I am having the same problem multiple locations on a variety of channels. How do I find the firmware rev?

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

We start by downloading the latest version of the "Line 6 Monkey" installer from here: http://line6.com/sof...e=Line 6 Monkey.

However, PRIOR TO actually doing anything with it, it's probably best to first check out the video "here's how" guides at the bottom of this page http://line6.com/sup...ss-microphones/ ...and also to read up on the huge flexibility offered by the two XD-V and Relay frequency schemes (RF1 & RF2) that will subsequently become available.

They're not only outlined in this paper from the top of that page http://line6.com/sup...frequencies-r90, but also canvassed extensively in this archived discussion: http://line6.com/sup...84358?tstart=30.

#10 rcbar55

rcbar55

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am having the same problem multiple locations on a variety of channels. How do I find the firmware rev?

#11 maico996

maico996

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my G90 except my transmitter goes completely dead, then comes back on. Receiver works normally and indicates no signal (obviously) from the transmitter. The transmitter comes back on and works for a while, then goes dead again. By "dead", I mean as it has been turned off...no display, no LEDs, no nothin'. This happened with brand new Duracells with only about an hour of playing on them.

Any suggestions?

#12 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like a mechanical issue with the battery compartment ( assuming that it hasn't been dropped too many times and cracked the PC board). Probably needs to be sent in for service.

#13 philmadewell

philmadewell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have had a g90 for 3 years and Have the same problem. In and out of authorized service center and after the warrentee was up a normal tech. replaced the input jack with the metal one, and still the same gig. Replaced the cable. Nothin. I am about to mail it back to line 6 and tell them to keep it. Never even had a chance to use it live. got stuck in a rack just to transport it from tech to tech. So frustrating its unreal. I dont have time to deal with it the way i want to, but hey. Live and learn. I'll get the new shure.

Plug in, sounds great, move wrong, goes red then comes back to green. spent 600 dollars on a flashy paper weight.

#14 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

If you had the exact same symptoms as the OP ... Loss of audio and the RF LEDs turning red then neither the cable nor the input jack were the problem. So replacing them wouldn't fix that problem. Sounds like in three years of techs none of them had a clue. Why did you wait so long to contact Line 6?

#15 philmadewell

philmadewell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

The original guys were who line 6 sent me too. Delt with it till it was out of warrentee. they told me to take it to the service tech. tech said he fixed it. brought it home, same issue.

#16 philmadewell

philmadewell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

And FWIW we replaced the jack and cable because it seemed like every time we wiggled the cable it would cut out.

#17 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

So let's start over. If the audio was cutting out then it is very possible that you had a bad cable or a broken jack. But if the RF LEDs are turning red then that is a very different problem. If it's both then there are two problems but sounds like switching the jack and cable would have solved that.

So ARE the LEDs turning red when The audio shuts off?

What version of the firmware are you running?

#18 philmadewell

philmadewell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

they are turning red yes. the firmware is more than likely the original that came with it, right when it was released.

#19 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Ok, red LEDs on the receiver when the transmitter is turned on means the receiver is losing sync with the transmitter.

You can check the firmware rev by holding in both the select and mute buttons when you turn on the transmitter although if you had a current version it would read in the window on startup. So you probably have a pretty old version. It's probably more likely that updating the firmware would take care of your particular problem. But it's also possible that you have a hardware failure.

#20 philmadewell

philmadewell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

how does one go about updating firmware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users