Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use the PodHD500 midi controller to start and stop backup tracks from a laptop.

zack15439

I'm shopping around, and I'm trying to set up a rig ideal for a multiple punk rock sounds, as I have a variety of influences and dont want to be limited to one specific sound.

As a one man project, I want to use this device as my sole effects box, for recording and live purposes, without a lot of clutter from multiple pedals, having to worry about batteries, patch cords, etc.

currently I own a pod ux2 that I've had combined with its included licensed pod farm,

while thats been nice for recording, I've had some issues regarding its dependability on constantly needing to verify my license, it wasn't always a problem, but lately its been problem. Almost every time I load pod farm as a plug in I need to verfiy the license. Not ideal for recording or live performance, so I want the ability to have these effects without having to drag a ux2 into it. Still usable for plug in edits, but not good for live.

Getting back on track here, i don't know a lot about midi controllers, but I was wondering if and how I would connect the pod hd500x to my computer to control a media player to play my backup tracks, using a foot switch instead of having to go back and forth to hit space on my laptop, or play on a cd player, after all playing one person looks lame enough for a punk performance, interupting to press play on my laptop would look worse. I'd like to just be able to kick into my prerecorded back up tracks from my computer off to the side.

If you have a Media Player that will respond to MIDI events (I know WinAmp has plugins that can do this or DAWs such as Reaper can be configured for this) then you will need to connect the HD500 MIDI out to a MIDI interface on the laptop (HD500 doesn't do MIDI over USD :().

Then it is just a case of configuration - typically Note On messages or Continuous Controller messages will control the Media Player, so you just need to go to the MIDI assign screen on the HD500 (Apendix B of Advanced Guide http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434dfb244f7b7f489af64/application/pdf/POD%20HD500%20Advanced%20Guide%20v2.0%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf) and set switches to send the right sort of message.  Make sure that you use a different MIDI channel to the HD500 Global MIDI channel to avoid unexpected messages being received.