Photo

Why Should I Get A Dt50 To Go With My Hd500 And Not Just A Standard Power Amp?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 harw00d

harw00d

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

As title says really!

All input appreciated.

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14807 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

the DT50/DT25 is actually alot of amps in one.... it re-configures the power amp to match the model selected...

for example if you buy an AC30, and use that to play a JCM800 model... the power amp is still that of the AC30. the relays in the DT amps, will reconfigure the amp to match the REAL power amp (as in not its digitally modeled equivalent.

you can also set up the DT amps standalone to become those amps with the latest update.

it's a really well thought out integrated system...

thats not to say you couldn't get decent modeled tones out of other amps.... 

that's just explaining why the DT amps themselves are special.

#3 jws1982

jws1982

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have a DT25 and a Spider Valve 2x12.  I can run my POD HD500 into the power-amp in of my Spider Valve, and it sounds really good.  It still sounds better through the DT25 though, especially on amps that have a class A power section.  It's just a better-quality amp.

If cost is a factor, then a used Spider Valve amp would still work well.  The mark I versions go for pretty cheap. I have a mark I 2x12, which i use as a backup should my DT25 fail. 

#4 harw00d

harw00d

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

If all the pod is doing is using both amps as a power amp, I still dont see why a valve power amp, or the FX return of any other valve head would be any different.

Granted the DT can model Class A,  but that is the only advantage I can see.

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14807 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

If all the pod is doing is using both amps as a power amp, I still dont see why a valve power amp, or the FX return of any other valve head would be any different.

that's where you aren't getting it... the DT isn't modeling ANYTHING power amp wise... it rewires itself internally via relays and other gadgetry to become the real deal....

sure you can put the fully modeled power amps through it....

but there is a reason why some amps cost a small fortune....because they don't all sound the same.

just like solid state doesn't sound like tube... etc etc...

you can surely get a good sound from a singular amp... but the DT gives you options...

far more options than real world...  because you can change the pentode/triode class A/AB to something besides what the original amp came with....

this allows you to find YOUR sound, as well as the classic sounds of the originals and the many players who used them....

it's sound though... noone can really tell you... you have to hear it....

the DT amps are awesome....

but it's not the only awesome... 

you can twist the knobs and come up with something useful using many power amps, and they'll be good at this or that...

the DT amp has the capability of being good at this AND that....

#6 greghall

greghall

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Another big advantage of using the DT amp is the integration with the HD (i.e. Line 6 Link), you can change the whole amp configuration with a single tap of the foot :-) 

#7 wahwahferrar

wahwahferrar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Really, for live use? Not much reason IMO. I like my DT50 head but normally use my Fender Hot Rod (pod to FX return). Sounds great. DT 50 doesn't sound better, just different, then different again if you change class a/ab etc. If I didn't use a pod, then I'd say differently. My DT-50 is great to use with just a guitar and maybe a boost/drive pedal.

#8 kenaucre

kenaucre

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

My HD500x came in the mail yesterday. My DT25 came 3 days ago. I was playing my DT for a couple days using my LP and the JTV 69 mag pickups through it. I was fairly impressed with the number of sounds that you could get from the amp with its variety of internals, but I didn't think it was particularly better than the fender twin I've been playing with. I had a chance to play several different HD500s through the twin, and it was VERY cool how many sounds you could get, and they sounded genuinely different from each other....

However....

When you add the HD500 to the DT amps... it's not just different, it's truly mindblowing. To confirm it, I plugged the HD500x into the Fender. The nuances of each classic amp weren't the same... they all had kind of a twin undertone to them and weren't as convincing. Granted, not a bad amp to have as an undertone, but I think the difference is certainly enough to justify having the DT. Add to that the fact that you can tweak EVERYTHING about the amp in a preset and instantly switch them, and it's like you've got a fleet of amps on a patch bay attached to your pedalboard.

Still brand spanky new on the Dream Rig, but it's the coolest upgrade I could have asked for to my setup. I'll still be playing the Les Paul for occasions when I need a good LP tone [VARIAX unfortunately doesn't have the same hour long sustain or response as a cranked LP, and I have a JTV69S so no built in HBs]. but the JTV 69 will handle such a wide range of other tones, that it is truly worth it. I love having crunchy humbucker, to bluesy single, to twangy rickenbacker, to Tele, to Martin all in my CUSTOM 1 bank [except the bluesy singles from the mag pickups.]

Now comes the process of making all my personal presets. But I suppose it's WAY better than tweaking everything every time you gig.

Buy the amp. You won't be disappointed.

~Ken

#9 dlowe102

dlowe102

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I was on a forum on ultimate guitar trying to explain how the DT amp switches its power amp to 4 different analog configurations. Was called a liar and mis informed. It seems they think it works the same as a spidervalve using a single fixed power amp.

#10 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14807 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

shame... a little knowledge can do wonders... 

I was on a forum on ultimate guitar trying to explain how the DT amp switches its power amp to 4 different analog configurations. Was called a liar and mis informed. It seems they think it works the same as a spidervalve using a single fixed power amp.

#11 Tboneous

Tboneous

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

As title says really!

All input appreciated.

Let your ears do the listnin! When doing my research about the DT50, I took my guitar to the music store, asked for a room. I plugged my guitar through the HD and then through a Two Rock Jet, a Tech 21 power speaker, Blackstar Ht60, a DT 25 and a DT 50.. The HD sounded like crap through the Two Rock and the Blackstar. It sounded ok through the Tech 21. It sounded fantastic through the DT50/25. The DT 25 was a bit under powered for me. I walked with the DT 50. Without the HD plugged up, The Two Rock and the Blackstar did what they did very well. Better than the DT 50. But the DTHD combo didn't sound bad by any means. and it did a much better job with clean tones than either of them.

The level of control that the DT/HD combo gives me is can't be touched by just using some power amp. With one click of the button I can make one amp model on the HD sound vastly different just by tweaking how the power amp section performs. You can't do that anywhere else in the amp world when using an HD.

#12 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Misinformed on a guitar forum? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

brick-lol.gif

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#13 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Please post the link to this. I would love to read it.

#14 Crusty_Old_Rocker

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationGold Coast - Australia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

The DT amps give you the ability to choose from the following power amp characteristics:

2 classes A/B and (quasi) class A - if you know how power amps work you'll know why I say "quasi" class A
4 different negative feedback loop topologies (tight, loose, zero or resonant)
2 different power amp valve operation modes (pentode or triode)

In the DT50 amps you also have:
2 options with the 12AX7 boost (boosts the power through the extra 12AX7 valve that's there to give some extra push into the power amp for some models)
2 options with the B+ voltage on the phase inverter (high/low)
2 different feedback capacitors X/Y giving a choice of a tighter or smoother NFL

So you have 2x4x2=16 different power amp characteristics with the DT25 and 2x4x2x2x2x2=128 different power amp characteristics with the DT50. And you can definitely hear the differences between those options.

This ability to mix and match different power amp configurations with 30 different preamps and 18 different cabinet options that can all be preprogrammed into a patch on the DT500 delivers an unbelievable amount of tonal diversity.

There's a lot more to in than just switching between class A and class A/B.  That's why you should get a DT50 to go with your HD500 and not just a standard power amp.  You'll have 128 different power amp configurations as opposed to 1.

Cheers,

Crusty

#15 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

The DT amps give you the ability to choose from the following power amp characteristics:

2 classes A/B and (quasi) class A - if you know how power amps work you'll know why I say "quasi" class A
4 different negative feedback loop topologies (tight, loose, zero or resonant)
2 different power amp valve operation modes (pentode or triode)

In the DT50 amps you also have:
2 options with the 12AX7 boost (boosts the power through the extra 12AX7 valve that's there to give some extra push into the power amp for some models)
2 options with the B+ voltage on the phase inverter (high/low)
2 different feedback capacitors X/Y giving a choice of a tighter or smoother NFL

So you have 2x4x2=16 different power amp characteristics with the DT25 and 2x4x2x2x2x2=128 different power amp characteristics with the DT50. And you can definitely hear the differences between those options.

This ability to mix and match different power amp configurations with 30 different preamps and 18 different cabinet options that can all be preprogrammed into a patch on the DT500 delivers an unbelievable amount of tonal diversity.

There's a lot more to in than just switching between class A and class A/B. That's why you should get a DT50 to go with your HD500 and not just a standard power amp. You'll have 128 different power amp configurations as opposed to 1.

Cheers,

Crusty

The boost option works on the DT25 as well, just for future reference.

#16 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14807 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I remember reading that... BUT i don't believe that the boost is done via a 12ax7 tube, I think the DT25 uses software...

If i recall correctly... (?)

#17 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

I remember reading that... BUT i don't believe that the boost is done via a 12ax7 tube, I think the DT25 uses software...

If i recall correctly... (?)

That's no matter. I was merely referencing it for the mathematical equation listed above to assist in making the combinations possible more accurate.

#18 Crusty_Old_Rocker

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5112 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

My apologies, I was focussing on the analogue characteristics of the power amp.

See: http://l6c.scdn.line...file_r15718.png

Cheers,

Crusty

#19 Crusty_Old_Rocker

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5112 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

The bottom line is, there are 127 reasons to get a DT50 rather than plug into a standard guitar amp.

Cheers,

Crusty

#20 dlowe102

dlowe102

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Please post the link to this. I would love to read it.

here is the thread on ultimate guitar.

http://www.ultimate-...&highlight=dt25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users