Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider UX—Opinions Requested

Digital_Igloo

Hi Guys,

I suppose this is as good a place as any to get some input on Spider's UX (user experience) and UI (user interface). We'll talk sound quality and model compliment later.

1. Which Spider do you have?
  2. What, if anything, frustrates you most about using Spider's UI?
  3. How important is it for the larger Spiders to have presets beyond four A B C D channels? What's the minimum number of presets required?
  4. How important is it for the larger Spiders to have an LCD display?
  5. Is it acceptable to reserve deeper parameters (FX model select, cab select, delay feedback, etc.) to a Mac/PC/iOS/Android editor?
  6. Do you prefer front or top-mounted UI?
  7. What's the best-looking affordable amp on the market right now?
  8. When you hear "Line 6 Spider", what's the first thing that comes to mind?

Thanks!

Spider IV 75

Some known issues:

Knob 'shake' can wake up that parameter and change the sound.

The 4-way directional control and button to hold in to access parameters are not very solid-feeling.

Monkey/updating is and has always been a big issue - lousy software.

CAT5 cable/connector - connectors on amp and FBV are not solid at all, the cable is easy to kink/break connectors.

The LCD display angled as it is to be seen from front or above is best - on top is is no good is you have the amp on a tilted stand or on top of a speaker cabinet so it is too high to see.

Although the trend today is to use some type of external device for more control, most working guitarists want to be able to adjust the amp 'on the fly' by using the amp controls.  This requires some kind of display, specially when the knobs control multiple functions.  A player does not want to have to rely on his 'iDevice' during a show - what if it dies on him?  Also, many amps/mixers that can be controlled by an iDevice do not have a security feature, so anyone wiht the same software can connect to the amp and change settings!

If you don't have more than 4 preset locations, then individual control of the FX is required (shortboard style), because a guitarist needs to be able to turn on/off different FX for different sounds - if they are not easily accessible, then there is no point in having them in the amp, might as well use outboard effects.  The shortboard, considering it is just a switchbox, is too expensive - for that matter the Express is as well - 4 switches & a continuous controller (that does not feel very robust).  I assume the extra $$ is because it also functions as USB amp connection. 

There should be direct communication of the amp with a computer - no FBV should be needed (look at the competition's offerings).

The Spider's modeling has come a long way since the original Spider 1 came out, but there have been no updates in 4+ (?) years now.  The biggest drawback in the amp's sound is the lack of dynamics - the preamp/amp does not put through the 'feel' of the guitarist's playing, this is not unusual for solid state amps.

"Best looking" affordable amp?   Amps are chosen for their looks by those who care about sound.  'Affordable' is relative.  Line 6 has offered a broad lineup of relatively-low cost amps for some time, and should not forsake that in the quest for 'something better'.  The Amplifi line seems to be aimed at bedroom jammers (as the Spider Jam was), don't forsake the live players.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

1. I have the Line 6 Spider IV HD150 with 4x12 cab.

2. One thing that frustrates me using the effects of the amp, is you can not use another effect on the same knob when you are already using one of the other effects on the same knob. You don't have the choice in combining them in other words. Also I would love to have a looper longer than 14 seconds.

3. It is not as important for me to have presets beyond four channels.

4. It is extremely important for the larger spiders to have an LCD display IMHO.

5. It may be acceptable to reserve deeper parameters to third party devices, but it would be more beneficial to have it where the user can control all of those features from within the amp. (for non-techies)

6. I prefer a front UI but it really does not matter to me. I think the larger amps need to have a front UI so you don't need a ladder to adjust the settings in case you decided to make a full stack out of the unit.

7. The best looking amp on the market without question is the Spider IV amp in my opinion. I get a lot of compliments from friends on the visual appearance of the amp.

8. The first thing I think of is "a do it all amp that sounds amazing." I would buy a Spider V amp when it is released without question. I paid $700 for the head and cabinet and would not hesitate to pay $1,000 + for an updated model with more effects and features. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...