Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reverb Knob w/ newest firmware w/ POD HD500x? Any difference

Palico

Okay I thought I understood this that the Reverb on the DT amp was a seperate Reverb from what you had when using the HD500x. But I've been setting up some patches recently and I noticed the Reverb just doesn't sound as good. When I use the POD over USB for practicing (no DT connected) the verbs sound great. But not so much into the DT. Did something change with the latest update? Or could it be just the verb works that much better in Stereo?  The Plate reverb does sound quite good over the DT.

My setup.

Variax 500->POD HD500x->DT25 Combo.  

I usually run just very small touch of Reverb knob on channel A on the DT and then add most of what I need from the POD. The "Hall" reverb seems to be the worst over the DT with the "Plate" sounding the best.

Reverb is emulating what a room does to the signal coming out of your speaker.

Modelled reverb amplified by a guitar amp and coming out of a guitar speaker system is not 'really' what a room does and the high-end frequency response is lacking when compared to the real thing (or what a Pod sends to its outputs in Studio direct mode). It's a compromise as you noticed and for some reverb models it works better than for others.

This is my current personal  view, and it may be wrong or only half true. Others may have more or better info or insight.

Martin

Yea, I can see that for sure. My question though was more around how does the Reverb knob on the DT interact when you using a POD HD500(x) over the L6 link.  Seems to different than the rest.

As far as I know, the reverb knob on the DT is totally separate from whatever you have in the POD.  It controls the internal reverb for the internal selected amp model.  And honestly I don't know if it defaults to the amp model on chanenel A, topo 1, or what the last selected internal model was.  So if you have a spring selected internally and turn it up, it is being applied separately and in addition to anything else being fed from the POD.

Does that make sense?  If someone else can confirm or deny that would be helpful.

Confirming radatats. If you did not change the DT default programs you get Spring reverb added to the signal sent from the HD. You can change the default reverb type for each of the DT program slots via MIDI (selected by type for each path; only path A is usable for L6 Link signals from an HD).