Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! Modeler needed...

jasonk931

Hey guys,

I dont mean to commit line 6 sacrilege here, just needing some user advice. I play twice a week in church and once out per week. Of course hauling gear is uber-tedious, but Im willing to do it if my tone is pleasing me.

Let me start off by saying, I had a POD HD500 back in the day and it sounded ok to me. I still missed my tube amp and pedal though. The warmth, compression and puff of a tube amp moving air is hard to beat. I now have a few options. My old tube amp and pedals, my Fender Mustang Floor, and Tech 21 power engine 60 with Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker swap, and a blackstar ht5rh. My dilemma is I just cant get my ears to full embrace my tube amp on stage due to lower volumes. I also cant seem to get my Fender Mustang Floor through the Power Engine 60 to give me the warmth and fullness needed on my rythm playing as I am mainly a utility player, singer, and occasional lead player.

So here is the main question???? Will the Pod HD 500x cover this tonal void better than the pod hd500 I had? I dont go direct to house, I mic my power engine 60 with a Peavey PVM 45IR mic to get the tone a little warmer. I guess Im trying to avoid at all cost going towards Fractal Axe FX stuff due to the $ of it all, but can I get close to where Im wanting to go with the pod? I miss the days when my face peels open with joyous smiles due to my tone.

Any help, greatly appreciated, as I am a long time line 6 user in their mics, wireless uints and I also own a jtv59 party wagon!

Blessings....

The Pod HD500X is not tonally different from the HD500. It has about 20% more DSP capacity which is enough to create more complex tones (more FX or a 2nd amp) but the underlying modeling as well the number and type of all amps and FX is the same. If you weren't happy with the HD500 it is unlikely that you'll be any happier with HD500X.

The Pod HD500X is not tonally different from the HD500. It has about 20% more DSP capacity which is enough to create more complex tones (more FX or a 2nd amp) but the underlying modeling as well the number and type of all amps and FX is the same. If you weren't happy with the HD500 it is unlikely that you'll be any happier with HD500X.

Thank you for response. I am wondering though, since I was running direct to house before if the pod will be alot different since I have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 and micing that?

With the Tech 21 would doubt it would be much different. The Power Engine 60 is basically just an FRFR system with no tubes so you're not going to get much different than the HD500 over the PA other than maybe just a bit more listening volume since the amp would likely be close to you instead listening via a monitor.

I would think you have only a couple of options.

1. Get HD500(x) but pair it with something with real tubes. Either a good tube amp and use the HD500(x) as effects only unit (look up the four cable method) or maybe get M13 and tube amp instead. Or get DT25/50 with HD500(x) so you have some real tubes behind it.

2. Take a good tube amp and mic it up in isolation box away from the stage so you can crank it up and not blow away the audience.  Even if you don't have a place to take it off stage you could get Isolation box (or more likely build something) on stage to buffer the sound so you can get knobs crancked more.

If nothing replaces the real tubes to you (I'm with you on that, I use DT25 combo, nice trade off of tubes and modelling) then nothing even an Axe FX is likely to sound quite right to you.  If you do go the route of getting a tube amp and want to crank it up, then go for smaller wattage amps because you get get the break up at lower volumes.

That sounds like the plan. I have a presonus Tube pre v2 that may warm up a pod hd500x a bit. Ill try a pod. I am pondering the 4 cable method as well. Of course Ill probably change my mind in a month again! Ahh, the tone search is like nose hair...It just keeps returning!

That sounds like the plan. I have a presonus Tube pre v2 that may warm up a pod hd500x a bit. Ill try a pod. I am pondering the 4 cable method as well. Of course Ill probably change my mind in a month again! Ahh, the tone search is like nose hair...It just keeps returning!

The Presous in tube preamp, not poweramp, so you will need to configure as such with a POD. You wire the Presonus into the effects loop of the POD, then set the POD to No Amp. You will be using the POD as effects only box with it. Before you purchase a POD you should try the Presonus into the Tech 21 PE60 and see how it sounds, becuase that would be basically the "amp" in that scenerio.  I was thinking more using a tube Power amp and a modelled pre-amp (the POD models). With a real tube amp and the 4 cable method you can use the actual Amps preamps or the POD modelled ones, so it's quite flexalbe while using the tube amps power amp for the full power.

The Presous in tube preamp, not poweramp, so you will need to configure as such with a POD. You wire the Presonus into the effects loop of the POD, then set the POD to No Amp. You will be using the POD as effects only box with it. Before you purchase a POD you should try the Presonus into the Tech 21 PE60 and see how it sounds, becuase that would be basically the "amp" in that scenerio.  I was thinking more using a tube Power amp and a modelled pre-amp (the POD models). With a real tube amp and the 4 cable method you can use the actual Amps preamps or the POD modelled ones, so it's quite flexalbe while using the tube amps power amp for the full power.

Thank you for the heads up. Ill check it out.