Photo

M20d Wifi Adapter Compatibility

Best Answer ArneLine6 , 19 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

We recommend to use an USB to Ethernet adapter and any WIFI router set to DHCP. Most WIFI routers are set to DHCP out of the box. The WIFI routers can be better positioned and have a better antenna. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ltmsc

ltmsc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have a M20d on the way and am looking to buy the appropriate wifi dongle. Both the EnGenius EUB-9801, and Samsung WIS10ABGN seem to be discontinued. Am I correct? And if so, what current dongles will work with the system? Thank you

#2 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:43 PM   Best Answer

We recommend to use an USB to Ethernet adapter and any WIFI router set to DHCP. Most WIFI routers are set to DHCP out of the box. The WIFI routers can be better positioned and have a better antenna.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

...The WIFI routers can be better positioned and have a better antenna.

...Also, (just in case you haven't seen it yet) you'll probably find this very recent thread useful: http://line6.com/sup...pter/#entry5799.

#4 kmachman

kmachman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

I used the WIS12ABGN.  It works flawlessly!

#5 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

I also have the WIS12ABGN, and it works OK... if there are no other wifi signals in the room.  But I have waited an hour to get my ipad connected when there is other wifi signals in the room.  I don't use it at all anymore with the M20d.  I'm happy to hear that it is working well for kmachman, but before anyone shells out money for it, I just want to make sure that users are aware there can be some connectivity issues.

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have waited an hour to get my ipad connected when there is other wifi signals in the room.

Just a thought, folks...

Whenever 

1. You must use one of those tiny dongles and
  2. It takes ages to connect...

...rather than accelerating your ageing by waiting all that time, try re-starting the procedure a few times.

Given other "traffic", the WiFi "handshake" process seems highly dependent on the actual timing of the "latest arrival", so I've found that a fresh "entrance" is often the best way for a "newcomer" to barge in successfully.

(Your possible use of a fanfare is optional.)

#7 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hey Ron, don't think for a moment that I just sat there waiting for an hour for it to magically happen. And it's not the only time I've waited just the longest.  Believe me I continually tried everything I could think of... different wifi channels on the M20d, disconnecting and re-connecting the dongle, closing and re-opening the app... shutting off and restarting M20d.  And of course leaving it for periods of time to see if it would just happen...

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect...

...Nor am I a fan of those USB-powered blobs of plastic.

But I have seen less-experienced folk

...waiting for an hour for it to magically happen.

#9 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I didn't take any offence my friend... I was just bantering... too bad you can't type tone into text...

#10 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Using a dongle is certainly more limiting that running a regular router.  As was pointed out above they do not perform well in the midst of much interference

#11 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm a tad concerned and heading towards being annoyed - not there yet though - and here is why. I believed Shaun in the wifi video when he demonstrated how easy it is to connect no router, no laptop just an inexpensive dongle.

Well I tried one i had at home yesterday, plugged it in and the M20d saw nothing. I'm going away in two days and when back straight to a gig so time is short and the ipad feature was a big purchase persuader - anyway went to the line 6 wifi recommend list and saw the Cisco E2500 also its a Cisco in the video demo so I jumped onto Amazon and they had a Cisco AE2500 ordered it I'm prime so one day free it came today put it into desk and exactly the same result - nothing no network present. I put it on my laptop to make sure it wasn't faulty and connected to internet easy. I've spent £25 on this and I'm not connected I can't see anything else to try.

Any suggestions would be great

#12 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

An addition
Found a netgear dongle plugged it in no network adapters present. So that's three and one is the recommended one.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

#13 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Have you tried to open the settings on the iPad, connect to the "StageScape" network and open the sStageScape app?

The StageScape app and the firmware need to be on the same version. If your app is v1.10 the mixer needs to be updated to firmware 1.10.

#14 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi Peter,

send the Cisco one back to Amazon and swap it for the  Samsung WIS12ABGNX

http://www.amazon.de...amsung 12 wlan

This one is not discontinued and relative inexpensive. I bought this one in the meantime while I was waiting for the engenius that I purchased at ebay (but it´s held up by german customs) in the US. I can proof the Samsung is working on the M20d.

#15 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Picked up something else today going to try it after I've rested if it works I'll make a celebratory post and reveal what it is. That's the good thing about Amazon sending stuff back is excellent. - which is a good job because I ordered the Quicklok 400 stand to use with the mixer on stage (fantastic fit by the way) got a phone call from my son when I was out another one arrived today.

Peter

#16 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

These posts are sent together I was too tired and sore and forgot to press post last time. Anyway I am now officially annoyed with this desk. The wifi ipad feature was one of the main reasons I chose it over the presonus. I've now spent an extra £100 and it still won't connect to a network.

I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter and a TP-Link router now when I plug it in I get the message

Status Connecting to Ethernet network...

The busy dial spins and it just sits like that.
I can see the unit name and a PIN number but they are grey not green and until they are green I can't do anything.
I only downloaded the ipad app a couple of days ago but it wouldn't matter if it was an old one the stagescape is not getting to the place where an ipad could connect. This is driving me nuts.

It is poor and I'm running out of time - and patience - to get this sorted.

#17 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Is the Ethernet cable going into a LAN port at the router? The WAN port looks the same but will not work.
This and/ or different versions of M20d firmware and iPad app are most likely the problem.
The router also needs to be set to DHCP but usually they are out of the box.

#18 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I left it trying to connect before I went to bed for over one hour. I'm not sure about the ipad app side of this yet.

As I understand it when you connect the 20d to a router the name and code will turn green indicating the connection has been made. It's only after this has happened you would go to he ipad and try to log on using the information provided. If you couldn't connect at this stage then I could see how the ipad app would be part of the problem. My 20d can't get to that sage at this time surely the ipad app is irrelevant.

Anyway, I'm going to try and dig out another router I think I've got and try that. There is only one input for the cable on the router it's a travel model that was on special at Maplin and I liked it as it is small and would have been good for stage and transport. I didn't really want to ave a big 4 port router sitting on the stage hence the appeal of the dongle use.

I thought there was only two versions of he firmware the first one and the new one that I installed?

Off to find the router
PP

#19 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi Bassman24

Just read your post - I missed it last night as I was tired and annoyed - Thanks, anyway I've just found the last Samsung WIS12ABGNX in stock at our local Argos and I've reserved it. As you can confirm it works with he 20d then I can only assume if it doesn't work with mine then mine is faulty. (I'm also assuming you updated to the latest firmware 1.10)

I'll get it this morning it's £39.99 not exactly cheap but I'm desperate and Argos have a fantastic returns policy. Like I said ubove this would be my dream as I don't want stage clutter. I know some are getting connection problems at venues but the places we play don't usually have wifi networks running.

PP

#20 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

What I discovered is the following procedure works most of the time for when I have connection problems:

Turn off ipad wifi (e.g. set it to flight mode)

Plug off the usb wifi stick of the M20d

Plug it in again

Turn on wifi on the ipad and connect again

Most of the time the connection between the app and the M20d is back in seconds.

I have also set the M20d to use wifi channel 1, because in Germany  most of the Wifi Routers use channels around 7 to 12 by default. I don´t think a lot of people alter this settings on the router, so I think channel 1 should be a relatively "save place" to work without a lot of issues.

But if you have troubles while connecting you can also change the channel to the other end of the range on the M20d, where is also not a lot of other traffic around.

Haven´t played in venues with a lot of wifi networks around yet. So I can´t really tell if my setting is also working well in such venues. But if it´s not I´ll connect my Airport express using a USB to Wifi adaptor instead of the Samsung wifi stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users