Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tech21 Power Engine Users: What Output Mode do you use?

smrybacki

Just doing a fairly unscientific poll of those who actually use their POD HD unit with Tec21 Power Engine 60(s).  I'd just like to hear what other folks are doing and their experiences that brought them to that point.  For years, I have been setting my modelling setup to the Studio Direct just because Tech21 has claimed these PE60s I have are FRFR speakers.  Well, they're not FRFR although the older ones with the Tech21 Special Design speakers like I have are closer than the newer Celestio nSeventy80 equiped units are, according to Tech21 again.

So how do you setup your output mode?  Studio/Direct?  Combo Power Amp?  Combo Front?  Something else?  And if you could add which model you have, or what mods you have made (IE speaker swap) that'd be great too.

I had a 1 x 12 crate powerblock and a Pod HD. Sounded great but wanted something 1 piece and simple and I figured the Tech 21 was made for this kind of thing and would be an engineered best choice Boy was I wrong. No bass and very thin sounding. Best sound I was getting was Combo poweramp mode though to answer the question.

It took me 4 speakers to get an OK sound with my HD/powreblock/oversize openback 1x12. Ended up with a creamback and like it a lot. Tonker was to rolled off but had great fat bottom but not clear enough. V30 might have been good but wrong Ohmage for the powerblock (16) so it made it uncharacteristically dark. 70/80 was worst real tame and colorless.

Everything has been better than the tech 21 I tried. Even my bass player's old Rickenbacker TR35B combo he got from the pawn shop for $60.00 was way better.

For speakers and the HD, almost everything you are told is wrong IMO. Mfg, and forums alike seem to steer you to "flat" speakers

but  the upper mids are hardest to get right in a HD  and having a crisp fast spikey speaker seems to help!!

I'd suggest taking it to a music go round and plug it into the power section of one of the 100+ solid state combos there for around $100.00. More than likely you will find something much better than the tech 21 from my direct observation. Try a closed back combo if you can find also. You will spend less money and possibly have a backup if the pod died.