Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 power is free volt???

kimhot00

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Joecozzi! Not to highjack this thread, but I keep seeing that the M5 is 500mA everywhere, but my Line 6 adapter says 250mA. I got it right around when Line 6 first released this pedal. Was there a different power requirement early on, or did I get the wrong adapter with mine? Bear in mind, I’ve never had a problem until recently, which is why I was researching the power requirements. I’ve been powering my M5 off the L6 power port on a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus for about a year because it puts out 250mA just like the adapter that came with my M5. In the middle pr practicing last night, the pedal’s LCD (after working fine for an hour), suddenly started blinking as if it was trying to boot up but couldn’t. Again, I’ve been using it set up like this for about a year without a single problem. I tried unplugging it, but it would never start back up. This morning I grabbed the box and found the original AC adapter. I went to my studio, tried it, and the M5 came back to life. Then I tried it with the PP2+ again, and it worked just like it has for the last year or so. Weird, huh? I intend to find a way to wire the AC adapter into my pedalboard, but for the time being, the PP2+ is working. I’m just very confused by the discrepancy. The M5 is supposed to require 500mA current, but mine came with a 250mA. That’s quite a difference in current. In theory, I don’t think it should have ever been able to power up off a 250mA current, should it? But it did. Any theories?

Hey Joecozzi! Not to highjack this thread, but I keep seeing that the M5 is 500mA everywhere, but my Line 6 adapter says 250mA. I got it right around when Line 6 first released this pedal. Was there a different power requirement early on, or did I get the wrong adapter with mine? Bear in mind, I’ve never had a problem until recently, which is why I was researching the power requirements. I’ve been powering my M5 off the L6 power port on a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus for about a year because it puts out 250mA just like the adapter that came with my M5. In the middle pr practicing last night, the pedal’s LCD (after working fine for an hour), suddenly started blinking as if it was trying to boot up but couldn’t. Again, I’ve been using it set up like this for about a year without a single problem. I tried unplugging it, but it would never start back up. This morning I grabbed the box and found the original AC adapter. I went to my studio, tried it, and the M5 came back to life. Then I tried it with the PP2+ again, and it worked just like it has for the last year or so. Weird, huh? I intend to find a way to wire the AC adapter into my pedalboard, but for the time being, the PP2+ is working. I’m just very confused by the discrepancy. The M5 is supposed to require 500mA current, but mine came with a 250mA. That’s quite a difference in current. In theory, I don’t think it should have ever been able to power up off a 250mA current, should it? But it did. Any theories?

Does the power supply that came with your M5 say "Line 6" on it anywhere? The one that's supposed to come with it is the DC-1g. It's rated at 500mA, 9.6V. There is a smaller, now discontinued, Line 6 power supply called the DC-1 that's rated at 250mA, but that shouldn't have been included with your M5.

As far as the actual draw, I believe that the M5 consistently draws close to 300mA, if I remember correctly. The PP+ may be able to provide more than the rated current for a little while, but it would probably start being inconsistent after a while.

It does say Line 6 on the power supply. And yes, I'm certain that it goes with the M5. The only Line 6 gear I've ever owned besides the M5 is a Variax 600 and a JTV-59. I have the power supply for the pedal that came with the 600 (giant power brick, clearly not for the M5) and the one that came with the battery charger for the JTV (does not say Line 6 on it, but is definitely not for the M5). There's no way it could have been mixed up with other Line 6 gear. They are all very different. And, after I first played around with the pedal years ago, I put the adapter back into the original Box for the M5, which is where it stayed until the day before yesterday. This is without a doubt the adapter that came with my pedal.

If it draws 300mA consistently, then it seems unlikely that the PP2+ would be able to power the pedal for extended rehearsal sessions (sometimes as long as 6 hours) without fail for a year without this happening. Very weird.

Well, as I mentioned Line 6 did make a 250mA adapter at one point, but it was never the one that shipped the M5. How it ended up with yours, I can't say.

As far as the M5 and PP2+, I'd say it probably depends somewhat on how heavily loaded the PP2+ is altogether. If you aren't pushing it too hard altogether, perhaps it's able to drive that output harder. I don't know. I do know with quite a bit of certainty that the M5 can consistently draw more than 250mA. It varies somewhat depending on what effect you're using because some effects tax the processor more than others.

• 2 years later...

Well, as I mentioned Line 6 did make a 250mA adapter at one point, but it was never the one that shipped the M5. How it ended up with yours, I can't say.

As far as the M5 and PP2+, I'd say it probably depends somewhat on how heavily loaded the PP2+ is altogether. If you aren't pushing it too hard altogether, perhaps it's able to drive that output harder. I don't know. I do know with quite a bit of certainty that the M5 can consistently draw more than 250mA. It varies somewhat depending on what effect you're using because some effects tax the processor more than others.

I have suffered the same thing. i powered line 6 m5 via Diago power outstation, daisy chain a few pedals as well. It work well for a few months then it went faulty and the pedal couldn't power up. Then i use the Genuine power adaptor, the pedal came back to life for awhile but DIE after a few month eventhrough i used the genuine power supply from Line 6 itself. 

Question is Will 3rd party power supply(T rex, voodoo lab, Diago, 1spot) SPOIL line 6 pedal ? 

Help please. 

• 6 years later...