Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500 400 300 Discontinued Production?

malexand20

I'm in the process of purchasing an HD-500 from Musiciansfriend. Due to a delay in shipping I called their customer support. According to Musiciansfriend's CS, Line 6 has discontinued production on the HD models and only in-stock supplies are left to purchase.

Can anyone validate this?

Just wondering if I finally decided to purchase just before the release of a new model...hmmm, just like I did when I purchased my X3L just before the HD models came out.

Hang on to your cash.  I came to this forum right now to see if I was the only one thinking there is a new model coming out.  There hasn't been an update for the HD500 for almost three quarters of a year and doubling up amps makes us run out of DSP resources on the HD500 so fast that I too am thinking... it's about that time.  

There seems to be enough info that this is probably legit. Based on some of the supposed specs looks like it's primarily a DSP increase which means software updates may still be applicable to existing hardware (just may not be able to run it as hard).

Good photoshop'ing!

I just can't see them releasing a new model when for sound quality the HD modeling is really only beaten by Axe II or KPA. Roland/Boss and Zoom just don't get there like Line6 did on the Amp modelling.

Perhaps a more ideal layout could be made as a new model but I don't myself buying the same in FX and Amp models. And there would be limited new buyer interest as we already got the HD's.

If I were line 6 I'd make it more desirable to add the DT25/50 or full range powered monitoring to the exisiting products somehow.

Ha ha should we start a betting pool? The pictures showing up on more than one retailer site would be a pretty elaborate hoax if it is one. If this is the real deal, I wouldn't upgrade just for the processor (I don't use dual amps) but hopefully they will keep the software backwards compatible so that any new models/improvements carry over.

If this is true, and it probably is, a pro/rackmount version is probably a good ways off (post holiday season / 2014 at the very least) so it's not that exciting. And for everyone doubting it's legit, do some research and apparently this is almost identical to how L6's last few product lines got leaked. If I were a betting man I'd put money up that this thing will be out by August/September.

If you read all 5 pages of that thread, the feature set isn't anything to get worked up about either. Still only 8 effect blocks, which when you consider you need usually half of those to dial things in right (mid focus to dial out top-end fizz, a parametric EQ or two for tone sculpting, and a OD and noise gate for most higher gain patches)... To quote Shania Twain "that don't impress me much". Give me another 4 effects blocks at the very least, and all that DSP would make more sense, and be much better utilized. Being a rack guy, I usually just use the preamp models, so doing dual rigs doesn't eat up the DSP for me the way it does for all you guys using the full models, so without additional effect blocks above and beyond the 8 I give it a "big whoop" grading. And the spec list says "25 amp models", which was also a big let down - not even a new model or two to entice me either. Give us the XTC green/blue/red, VH4 channels 2/3/4, something/anything.

As they said on that forum, from the sounds of it, this is closer to what the HD500/Pro should've been to start with, but imho still could/should go further than just adding some DSP and LED rings around the footswitches. Needs more effects blocks, more/better amp and effects models, and I hope to high heaven that they fix the inability to send full amp models / cabs to XLRs, and the Pre-only out the 1/4s.

I had my doubts at first and thought it could be photoshop, but turns out that line use used these tactics in the past to gauge the European Markets pricing before they release in the US.

If this isn't true, line 6 would respond in this thread.

So unless you hear line 6 denying in this thread, it's very safe to presume this is accurate! they're tight lipped isn't an excuse not to come to this thread and clarify.

Unfortunately there's nothing in it for me. I was hoping the improvements would be in the modeling even though I deep down know that the life cycle of the HD modeling is probably ten years just like the XT and X3 type modeling. POD 2.0 modeling is still used in mobile apps!!
My main interest is in the quality of the AMP models and I think line 6 is making a big mistake if they have similar plans to milk the HD technology for another 10 years without improving the modeling.

I just got an eleven Rack from Ebay, Brand New, for $300, and based on amp models and connectivity, it kicks the HD PRO's lollipop big time (it doesn't have dual path, but that doesn't make any difference to me, because Eleven with one path sounds way better). Sorry line 6, the times are changing, you're not the only company that offers good modeling at low prices. I compared the Soldano and Plexi 100 and some of the few amps in common between my HD500 and the Eleven like the deluxe and bassman. When using the same amp, same speaker, same mic,

it was amazing how close they both sounded that it was clear they're both seriously modeling the same exact exact amp!!Note that I said close because close is very relevant. Eleven Rack amp models sounded, thicker, bigger occupied more air and space and felt more like a real amp than the HD no matter how hard I tried. I will always use Eleven for any guitar tracks I record because in regards to Amp modeling: as good as the HD models (they are good), they are no match to the Eleven Rack amps! At the same Exact Volume, the Soldono, Plexi 100 etc, sounded bigger clearer and more responsive using the Eleven. When you play the three Bonger Ecstacy models in the Eleven Rack, you start to realize that using the word "close" to describe the modeling of both units is not accurate. It becomes very clear that Eleven is modeling many aspects in the amp behavior and sound that isn't addressed in HD modeling. The blue Bogner in the Eleven Rack, alone is worth the 300 dollars I paid. It sounds better than the "Bogner Exctacy Pedal" sold by Bonger themselves, because it sounds and behaves exactly like the real amp it models!

So for me it's a huge disappointment that double the processing is used yet it still runs the same algorithms.

My HD500 is a good controller with good effects, but for Amp modeling it looks like I will be using the ELeven Rack for the foreseeable future unless I buy a Kemper or digitech releases their answer to Line 6 HD modeling and hopefully it would be better than Eleven Rack modeling. I'm not sure what percentage of line 6 users I represent, but there must be a huge chunk of guitarists with the quality of modeling at the top of their priority list.

So i'll finish by saying to line 6 (who I know read these boards): You gotta improve the modeling to catch up with ELeven Rack at least. Avid has the advantage of bundling Pro Tools with Eleven, so at 699 for Eleven, many sell pro tools for 400 on Ebay and they're left with the Hardware Eleven that competes and beats the HD Pro in modeling at half the cost! I hope this has been addressed in some of your Marketing meetings, because if it hasn't, Avid just updated the Driver to Eleven Rack to work with windows 8, so I doubt they're abandoning it.

i think my next move is going to be real pedals. i like the idea of being able to get different tones from modeled amps but i have no idea what 99% of those amps sound like. i just select an amp and tweak until i get something i like. as for the fx, i use delay, distortion, compression, chorus and noise gate and that's about it.   it will cost considerably more but what's money in your search for tone. as for reverb, my amp has one of the best sounding i've heard. keeping up with modeling is getting out of hand for me. i suppose if i was recording i would have a more positive attitude toward modeling.  

as far as the 500x, what use is more dsp if the amps don't sound any more realistic? is it possible with more dsp that line6 can improve the modeling of the amps? or does it require something other than more dsp?

if you are so happy with your 11r why you are still spending your time over here in this forum?

are you worried about us "poor" HD owners?

do you think that we should finally open our eyes?

if your intention was really to communicate with line6, you know well that there are some direct methods to do it

what is better for you is not necessarily better for other people

I'm sure there are a lot of happy HD users over here, who bought the HD and not the 11r or other modelers for precise reasons, not only for the final cost

personally in the past I heard some 11r demos and I wasn't that impressed

another thing I don't like about the 11r is that you need running protools if you want edit sounds from computer

uhoh!  :unsure:

if you are so happy with your 11r why you are still spending your time over here in this forum?

I'm not the poster referred to above and I'm quite happy with my HD500 but I do not agree with this kind of assertion.  Anybody should have the right to criticize on any forum, otherwise let's all sing the praise of the HD500 and this forum will soon be really boring and useless.

• Downvote 1

Assuming this is not fake (I hope it is, since the specs don't seem that different from my current hardware), nobody could ever predict what the final package would have. I mean, assuming this is out in September and it has more or less the same features of the current HD500, how do you know if, let's say in 2015, they will put all the requested features for this current unit (input volume anyone?) in a new firmware? The problem is having any faith they could do that and\or have the patience to wait. Everything could happen, or nothing at all...

Any new HD500 version that doesn't address the tone suck, have a dedicated movable FX Loop, 4 additional effects blocks, a second expression pedal and an extra effects & patch toggle is an epic failure in my book. The next model needs to innovate and not merely address shortcomings if its predecessor.

• Downvote 1

are you worried about us "poor" HD owners?

do you think that we should finally open our eyes?

if your intention was really to communicate with line6, you know well that there are some direct methods to do it

what is better for you is not necessarily better for other people

I'm sure there are a lot of happy HD users over here, who bought the HD and not the 11r or other modelers for precise reasons, not only for the final cost

personally in the past I heard some 11r demos and I wasn't that impressed

another thing I don't like about the 11r is that you need running protools if you want edit sounds from computer

1- I'm still keeping my POD HD 500 for effects and as midi controller, it can also be used in the effect loop of an amp..

2-I'm not worried about HD users, I'm just pointing the facts about the marketplace, Eleven competes with POD HD PRO at half the price.

3-I can commicate with line 6 any way they make available. They made this forum for just that. Just because they don't respond directly, doesn't mean they don't read. That's their marketing strategy not to answer directly and keep the discussions going. They can simply respond to this thread by denying!! :lol:

4-I am a happy HD user, I just no longer use the HD models because to MY ears and fingers Eleven models are much better and the kicker is Eleven is cheaper also . I'll keep my HD in hope that the modeling will improve and if not I still use it as a controller.

5-For my current budgets I don't like to spend more than 500 on a modeler and to my ears under $500, Eleven is the best AMP Modeler, it has more processing power, so even though there's not much more effects,  the Reverbs, Full Parametric EQ, sound Stellar compared to the HD. I believe because line 6 want to cram so much effects, the the effects are degraded.

6-Eleven Rack can be used with any DAW. I use mine with CUBASE and I can do RE-Amping in CUBASE. So you haven't investigated the Eleven seriously.

7 Finally, I'm not trying to sell Eleven Racks, I'm just pointing out the obvious to line 6 and that is a competing product, has much more realistic modeling at half the price so doubling up the processing speed won't do it for me or any one interested mainly in Amp Modeling. I hope that I'm not offending anyone by my suggestions and actually hope that line 6 appreciates my inputs on this forum. Again I reiterate, Amp modeling is where it's at for me and a nice chunks of HD users, Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it as all these parts are made in China and the world is a global village. May the best product win.

as far as the 500x, what use is more dsp if the amps don't sound any more realistic? is it possible with more dsp that line6 can improve the modeling of the amps? or does it require something other than more dsp?

I'm no expert but based on my readings, algorithms that make up the sound can benefit from more DSP. distortion and high gain sounds can benifit "The higher the "gain", the more the modeler must internally oversample in order to avoid aliasing."

If you play high gain way up the neck, the high notes and bends will suffer with aliasing noise, even on the Kemper profiling amp. Solution for those who play far up the neck, put a real distortion pedal in front of the modeler.

Some better algorithms need much more DSP, So if line 6 remove the 100+ effects and use one path with AMP, comp, EQ, Reverb, Noise gate, I have no doubt that they can really improve the amp modeling, but they insist on including the kitchen sink on top of everything..

ok, I respet your opinion, mine is different

Thanks, I also respect your opinion as well as everyone else's.

I didn't say that the 11r can't be used to record in any DAW, I said that if you want to edit the 11r patches via computer you need to run protools, and as far as I know it doesn't have any standalone editor

You are correct, to edit you need pro tools, but there's an "Eleven Hack " that I've used for a while and it can load any patch but finally I just bough Pro Tools 8 from Ebay for 49 dollars (another Huge bargain, I'm sure I can't do what Pro tools ten does, but do I really need all those features!!)

On a side note the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest effect to edit from the front panel, I swear it must be quicker to edit than the actual editor in Pro tools)

this forum is made for exchange ideas between us users of the HD products

the rest of what you said is your supposition, may be true or not, we don't know

I think this forum is great for whatever it was intended for, but it also lessens the load on customer support  when You, I or anybody else can get an answer quickly without having to wait. It also serves as a buffer so Line 6 can say what they want to say without having their name tied to it in a way. Like when you asked why am I hanging around in this forum if I already use the Eleven Rack (it's valid in some point and wasn't offending to me), but if someone from line 6 says that, some others might be offended, heck, I might be offended too. In a way, I think I'm pointing out a major point about how fierce the competition is. Let's face, we all buy gear ultimately based on budget first and we try to get the best sounding gear within that budget and brand loyalty plays very small role in audio related purchases. Sure customer support is huge, but if a guitar player gets a sound they like, sometimes even budgets can go out the window never mind brand loyalty. I have to say that my experiences with Line 6 customer service has been stellar from as far as I can remember.

I think that when and if I'll change brand, I will probably disappear from this forum, but that's me

I think line 6 would probably appreciate if you would stick around. I currently still own the HD500 and won't be selling, there are quite a few amps and sound patches that I can't get using the other gear I have. Driving the "Divided by 13" or Dr Z with L6 drive, 4x12XXL, u87 mic, yields and amazing unique heavy sound that I can't get anywhere else. The Park Model driven by Tube Drive is also another unique sound.   I think line 6 modeling is really good, but with a little improvement, it can become amazing. As is though, all the amps are print quality. With Further EQ and production, they're professional quality all the way.

I just wish, if they don't improve the modeling, at least  they would split the cabinet and give the option of loading  External IRs . I'm sure they're aware of this..

What does "professional quality" even mean when you start talking about something completely subjective like guitar tone? Good enough to be used by professionals? If that's the case, I'd wager that more pro guitarists use Line 6 stuff either in the the studio or on the stage than most of its competitors. Boss may have them beat in the stompbox market, but Boss also had like a 20 year head start on them.

It really just comes down to finding what works for you. Right now, there are more ways to get great guitar tone than there have ever been before. When people start talking like there's a right way or even a best way, I start rolling my eyes. It's so easy to miss the forest for the trees once we go down the road of tone chasing.

What does "professional quality" even mean when you start talking about something completely subjective like guitar tone? Good enough to be used by professionals? If that's the case, I'd wager that more pro guitarists use Line 6 stuff either in the the studio or on the stage than most of its competitors. ..

Agreed, but when the product is intended to model an amp, it's very easy to discern the level of success of that processor. Hd series is pretty darn good, but it's quite easy if to be objective no matter your preferences. When Kemper Demonstrates the Profiled or Modeled amp,  whatever you want to call it,  and let you hear it compared to the miced amp sound, your ears can't lie whether you own an AXE II , POD HD, Eleven, Amplitube. As far as the accuracy of the models 10 out of ten guitarist, will pick the accurate modeling, but many of them will assert the subjective angle and turn it into personal choice. After all,  these models are based on real world counterparts that can be miced up and compared to the virtual one.

I think everybody is reacting all willy-nilly is because this is L6's "ultra" to the current gen "standard" (see axe fx gen one units) and unlike the aforementioned comparison, which isn't fair to start with when considering what the axe standard and ultra originally retailed for, from the available info it's just not much of a leap forward all things considered. to paraphrase what someone said a few posts back, it seems like this hardware is reactive instead of being proactive. By reactive, I mean it's a reaction to complaints such as the DSP wall, and effects routing (and hopefully routing full models out the XLRs, and just the PREs through the 1/4s), and failing to be proactive in that it appears it has failed to address future concerns and move the platform further ahead, such as additional effects blocks to utilize the additional DSP, more/better amp models/modeling, user IRs, Global EQ/FX, etc.

That's what I initially reacted to - the emphasis on correcting past shortcomings without implementing features and improvements that advance the platform and keep it relevant moving forward. Hopefully L6 actually does read these forums, and in the same way Microsoft heard the cries of the people and have made efforts to fix XBONE, L6 will hear these comments and concerns and implement them into what could be a very exciting platform going forward.

failing to be proactive in that it appears it has failed to address future concerns and move the platform further ahead, such as additional effects blocks to utilize the additional DSP, more/better amp models/modeling, user IRs, Global EQ/FX, etc.

Personally I love that there's more DSP coming.  I run dual amps constantly so this has been a major concern for me.  But you're right about the lack of proactive nature of the platform.  User IRs would be awesome even if they had to add a disclaimer to thwart the support calls they would be receiving about third party IRs.  Lack of control over that might be the deciding factor over bringing something like that to the platform from a business perspective.  But still, there's a number of things they could have done that should be fixed (reactive) as well as bringing the "It's 2013" mentality into the mix.  MIDI over USB being one of those things that's a no brainer.  For proactive, Yes on User IRs, but how about also... deep Reason 7 Integration, Wireless integration with a built in receiver, multiple effects loops, Or the ability to wirelessly control vocal mic settings and routing based on patches (L6 Link over WiFI?).  This would help unify the Product lines coming out of Line6.  Dare I mention modeling of an amp that includes all settings and channels of an amp.  This way I could to a Triple Rec Model but utilize the clean and crunch channels for that sound.  ...and they really need a TriAxis model as well.