Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

considering picking up podhd few questions

outlaw1320

first I'm a truck driver and IM hardly ever home. I'm looking for a super simple solution for a travel amp type of deal. my truck has a 1500 watt on board a al Quran a Playstation 4 and a 40 inch TV off of this inverter. my first question is can I just power this thing up and plug headphones into it and start playing? my second question is I have a really good set of computer speakers (Klipch promedia 2.1) what I be able to just want these into the headphone jack on this pod with a quarter inch adapter and be able to play through my speakers? as far as recording and stuff goes I have both a laptop and a desktop that I can hook up to while I'm at home or in the truck respectively. I'm just trying to see if this will work or if there are any other solutions that may be better

Hi Outlaw, yes, you can just plug in your guitar and your headphones, select a patch and start playing. But most of the patches are there to demo the capabilities on the unit and aren't very "musical". You'll need to tweak them a bit to get them to sound nice. Downloading some customtones from the LIne6 web site may be a good option to get you started. Hooking it up to the laptop and using the Edit software helps a whole lot in visualizing what's going on and how the signal chain works.

The PodHD will look like a new soundcard when plugged into the computer via USB. You'll need some sort of software to record the signal coming from the HD500 "soundcard".

Regarding plugging in your computer speakers, I don't know how good they are, but you probably won't get any gut wrenching shredding tones out of those. As long as your expectations are reasonable, you'll do OK. Since they are powered speakers you would best be served by plugging them into the L/R 1/4" outputs, not the headphone output. You may need to change the output level switch from "Amp" to Line" to get more signal.

I agree with pfsmith. I don't think you will be to impressed with the quality of the speaker sound. The HD series also has the cd/mp3 player input so you could play along with your favorite tunes either in the headphones or speakers.

As for in the Truck the PSU on the HDs use a sample voltage and rectify it. No transformer, less heat can be used in any country if you have the connection.

If you know what you are doing you could run rectified straight in from batteries.  HD I think from memory runs on 9V 3A 2.5mm adaptors into the unit with the negative on the center connector. 

How are you getting power for you applianaces in the truck?

I'm getting power from true sine wave power inverter. my expectations as far as sounds go through the speakers and headphones isn't huge I know its not going to sound optimal. I have a Peavey ValveKing half stack but I had to send it off for repairs and there's no telling how long it'll take to get back but I'm just going to be using this as a travel option and then I add on for my ValveKing. and also to do some recording obviously