Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD DESKTOP WILL NOT POWER ON

pwhittles

No sign of life whatsoever.  No screen illumination etc.  It is NOT my power adapter.  I tried it with two POD (HD500 and HD500X) and it works fine.  

It was working fine and I simply hadn't used it for a long time, maybe 6 months or more.  It was in a climate controlled environment, no shocks, spills, etc.

It simply is a lifeless brick.

I tried holding down the left arrow button to no avail.  

The entire time it was dormant, it was unplugged.

Thanks.  I am starting a support ticket.

My PLAN was to buy a pedal board (Maybe a MK II Shortboard) used for $120 and a new power adapter (I assumed it was broken, especially because the plug was chipped) and be "gig" ready for 160.

After I found out the Pod was bricked, I ended getting a CHERRY  HD 500X for $380.  Box, documentation etc perfect.  He hadn't even upgraded the firmware in the year he bought it.  Absolutely CHERRY.

I was leaning towards the HD500, but the HD500X does look better, has more pedals, and better quality, more DSP, and more input/output.  I plan on getting a Variax, so the Variax input is a plus.

I have also SOME confidence the HD500X sounds better than the 500.  I have been following the debate and supposedly the models (which are just computer software) are the same, but with the extra DSP and different components I guess it's POSSIBLE it could affect the sound.  The only way to know FOR SURE is to measure output like they do with speakers.  

The placebo effect is strong, so subjective analysis leaves me cold, but mebbe if we had some double blind confirmation that the HD 500X ceteris paribus was sounding better...

I pulled out the Pod because I just bought a PRS guitar and that inspired me.  I also just found out the Ibanez I have had for 30 yrs is also worth quite a lot, and I am ready to expand my axe collection.

If I can get the Pod HD Desktop fixed for a reasonable price, selling it on Ebay will help recoup the cost of the HD 500X.  It could actually make the HD 500X CHEAPER than if I had bought the shortboard and the adapter and it's obviously a better system to play with.

Hey PW - the MK I board works as well and can be less $ if its something to screw around with.

I honestly couldn't tell you if the HDx vx the HD has any tonality difference or more mojo :) But I will say the increased DSP can come in handy at times.

I leave the HD Bean connected at home to save me from uncasing and set up as it allows for easy access for general noodling. The HD500 can get the converted tones dumped in when ready and back into the case for travel. Hopefully the Bean is an easy "cheap" fix for you.

Old Ibanez's have went up pretty good - some gear gets labeled vintage while I just get old *sigh* :)

Hope it all goes good!

Bill