Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Distortion and amp simulation

Hi everybody,

I am currently use the distortion effects on a real amplificator clean channel without POD XT Live amp simulations. But I am looking for a different type of distortion that there is not on the POD effects. So I wish to ask if someone of you use the amp simulation in a combination with a distortion effect in a front input real amplificator. And in a live situation too.

Thanks in advance !!!

Hey there my man and welcome to the forums!

I can partially help - years ago I tried it and it can sound pretty good. Setting wise you are going to have to flip on the PAD (IIRC) and have a look at the noise gate as you will be sending in a boosted feed. Keep in mind you will need to set up your amp sim to be pretty clean unless you are wanting to stack gain - which can get pretty noisey. A clean boost pedal in front can help with lower distortion mild type breakup if that's what you are after.

Live? nope defeated why I had the XTL which was to simplify setup and travel - bought the Metal Pack and loved it.

-Bill

Thanks Bill for the answer !!!

Just a few explanation ... what do you mean with "have to flip on the PAD (IIRC)"? And what is the "XTL"?

In my thoughts I would like to set up an overdrive amp simulator that enters in the real amplifier set to a clean channel. Then I would use a distortion stomp to increase gain and volume. Do you think is realizable?

Thanks again, bye !!!

XTL = XT Live :)

There is a little switch labeled PAD which will lower a high signal input a bit. Like if you are running EMGs the input signal might start clipping and causing issues with the tones. Like too much distortion, etc..

I don't see any flaws in your plan, the pedal will hit the chain in front just like the XTL's preamp would. Just start low volume/gain and gradually increase it. If memory serves me correctly I used a Tubescreamer Clone and it was pretty good.

-Bill