#1 hendrix0909

hendrix0909

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Let me say this desk is awesome...
My question is, I use fx a & d on foot switch 1 which is fine, but I want to be able to use fx d again with different settings on foot switch 2 on the same vocal Chanel! Does anybody know of a way to be able to do this? Basically I want to use fx d twice on the same Chanel with different settings and switch between them! I am going nuts trying to find a way to do this.....

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

I haven't the gear to actually try anything like this, but I figure that no harm can be done by putting it out there for folks who do.

It seems to me that using 

...fx d twice on the same Chanel with different settings and using two footswitches to switch between them... 

may only be possible at the "expense" of "tying up" one of your rotary encoder knobs.

In other words, if all of your inputs are being used, instant access to their parameters may prove to be very cumbersome in performance when operating in the way I'm about to suggest, ...probably forcing Scene Recalls to access those adjustments.

What I had in mind is to try an additional assignment of the vocal channel in question to run via a "Group" encoder (as per page 2.13 of your manual) to see if that would facilitate Footswitch 1's mute/unmute of Global Fx in that vocal channel, with Footswitch 2 doing the same for Global Fx applied to the group, which would now have (unusually) just the one (your vocal) channel being a "sub" under its "master" control.    

#3 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Actually two scenes could be a comfortable way to do this:

- create one scene with FX settings A

- create one scene with FX settings B

- Assign footswitch1 to "next scene"

- Assign footswitch1 to "previous scene"

This works well if you don't use scenes for other purposes.

#4 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hi Arne

HOw would that affect recordings?

Thanks.

#5 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

This would not affect the individual recorded tracks since the recorded files are pre DSP. The main mix would contain all the FX changes.

#6 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Arne, that sounds good. When changing scenes, would the user have to stop and restart the recording... or would the multi-track recording continue despite the scene changing?

Thanks.

#7 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

It would continue. The scenes are just snapshots of the parameters like level, eq, FX etc. and do not affect the recorded individual tracks.

#8 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Cool

#9 hendrix0909

hendrix0909

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Thanks guys for all you input we tried the group option and after hours and hours fiddling we found that there is no way at all to do this without using sceanes to change between the same fx but with different settings, I hope that line 6 could add the ability to allow the global fx to be changed to the way we would like to use them, e.g on my vocal I would like fx A to be reverb fx B to be delay fx C to be plate reverb and fx D to be delay again with more depth, this way I could assign foot switch 1 to turn fx A & B on for standard songs and then foot switch 2 for fx C & D for a longer delay setting for say a bee gees song, sounds simple but this desk can not do this without scenes unless there is an option we have not found yet! Being a digital desk I would of thought that the fx C & D could be configured to be delay just like A & B are both reverb!!! Please line 6 give us tech guys more fiddling ability other than that this desk sounds amazing with QSC 8"inch powered speakers! Thanks of another great product... Regards Danny.

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Being a digital desk I would of thought that the fx C & D could be configured to be delay just like A & B are both reverb!!!

Like you, Danny...

I'm guessing that firmware reconfiguration by Line 6 should eventually be able to grant the availability of all FX options via all four of A, B, C & D, given that everything is indeed handled by DSPs.

It seems to me, however, that devising a clear, simple and ergonomically uncluttered way of reassigning the two footswitches to change parameters "within" (or select from a "library" of) those processors might prove to be much, much harder.

Also, I'm very sorry, Arne...

...but I would deliberately avoid this routine...

Actually two scenes could be a comfortable way to do this:

- create one scene with FX settings A

- create one scene with FX settings B

- Assign footswitch1 to "next scene"

- Assign footswitch1 to "previous scene"

... because of the enormous risk of "jumping" between vastly different input levels (or other "balance" parameters) as the result of a mid-song adjustment having been made on one scene, but remaining untouched on the other.

So my feeling is that repeated practising of a touchscreen tap or two (or five) would remain my preferred way to arrive at a routine for reliably changing between those fx in a live performance situation.   

#11 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

The input parameters like trim are not part of a scene. The mix levels are. This means that doing this during a song when levels have been changed can be a problem.
On the other hand it is very common practice to have a scene per song and to change
the scene inbetween songs.

#12 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Why not just use the exact same scene, save it once with one name and then save it again adding a "b" on the end of it.. so that all the input parameters are identical.  If the scenes already have effects parameters assigned the way you want for as Arne referred to it "FX settings A" then you just need to make the adjustments to the effects settings on the "b" version and re-save.  I would think that whether you're tapping the screen 2 or more times or hitting a footswitch once to get to the same result the risk is the same it's just easier with the footswitch.  We are only talking about the adjustment off effects here things that guitar players do with their feet all the time and nowadays as I do for my vocals as well as I use a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 for my vocal effects.  I'm always changing effects mid-song.. and never have a problem.  What Arne is advising is essentially to achieve what I do with the VL2 but just using the M20d instead.  It takes a bit of time for entire setups to load, I'm not sure how fast scenes load but that could be an issue with this method.  I haven't really tested how quick the scenes load.  Ultimately though, despite all my blathering here or any concerns any of us have,  It's going to come down to just setting it up at home and see how it works...once it's loaded in and saved, it will be consistent gig to gig.

#13 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Great advice there, Guys...

I guess my prejudices stem from my more "console-focussed" live background.

In addition, I think we'd be remiss not to point out not only that the amount of control offered by an "as is" M20d is absolutely unmatched by any other system with a comparably small footprint, but also that, (in my experience anyway) other systems offering anything approaching the M20d's processing power and sonic quality cost between twice and fifty times (yes, you read that right, 50 x) as much.

To my mind, that leaves plenty in the pocket for an extra 700 bucks (USD) to be spent emulating this excellent arrangement:

I use a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 for my vocal effects.  I'm always changing effects mid-song.. and never have a problem.

I honestly feel that TC Helicon products in general (and in particular the VoiceLive2 http://www.sweetwate...ail/VoiceLive2/) are almost unique in offering "bang for buck" and sonic quality of a similar order to Line 6's gear. (Products from Alesis also spring to mind.)

For decades now, nearly all of my work has been highly dependent on peerless fully digital processing via gear from Helicon's "parent" company, TC Electronic of Denmark. (I'm referring to the TC Electronic Finalizer and their single-rack unit outboard fx processors.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users