102 replies to this topic

#1 Mincer

Mincer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

Maybe this is why they are saying the regular ol' HD500 is discontinuing. Hopefully there is an upgrade path for us HD500 owners if this turns out to be true. 

#2 unperfectcircle

unperfectcircle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Maybe this is why they are saying the regular ol' HD500 is discontinuing. Hopefully there is an upgrade path for us HD500 owners if this turns out to be true. 

That would be great but I doubt it would happen; if that's really an hardware upgrade as it seems to be, I guess they could only offer a discount to the existing users, but at that point I'm sure we could make a better deal by selling the HD500 on the used market.

Anyway if there are no improvements in the modeling technology or at least the chance to load external IRs, I don't think I'll upgrade. I pretty much learned to live with the other drawbacks of the unit...those are the only changes that would make a real difference for me.

#3 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

when you translate the page, there is a note that says,  

Note: This is an old listing. This offers is no longer active on Koopjespakker.nl.

I'M SO HAPPY!

#4 Mincer

Mincer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

It also says it won't be available till July 20th. 

#5 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

It also says it won't be available till July 20th. 

can you point that out to me?

I'M SO HAPPY!

#6 Mincer

Mincer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

They took the page down...my guess is that L6 didn't like the scoop from the European retailers and told them so. There is a pretty lively discussion on The Gear Page (with pics).  I did see that date on the page today before they took it down. There is a tweet out there from the same retailer mentioning it too. 

#7 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

why does line6 leak info in Europe. they build in china and their based in california. i've seen this happen before 

I'M SO HAPPY!

#8 gazengland

gazengland

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm at the What's Next conference in London right now, and they've just demoed it. The HD500X is going to be a hardware upgrade, new foot switches with improved surrounds and an improved DSP unit which will allow for more effects to be used simultaneously.
The price will be the same, so it looks to be a complete replacement for the ordinary 500

#9 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm at the What's Next conference in London right now, and they've just demoed it. The HD500X is going to be a hardware upgrade, new foot switches with improved surrounds and an improved DSP unit which will allow for more effects to be used simultaneously.
The price will be the same, so it looks to be a complete replacement for the ordinary 500

so the price for the 500 is coming down

I'M SO HAPPY!

#10 unperfectcircle

unperfectcircle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

any interesting feature apart from the DSP power enhancement and new switches?

#11 wnxwakko

wnxwakko

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Any idea if there will be an upgraded POD HD PRO as well?   I'm still sitting on a backorder of that and have been considering canceling the order given this possibility.  

#12 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Any idea if there will be an upgraded POD HD PRO as well?   I'm still sitting on a backorder of that and have been considering canceling the order given this possibility.  

the pro usually comes sometime after the pedal. i'd hold off if you can

I'M SO HAPPY!

#13 wnxwakko

wnxwakko

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

I don't know who invented patience, but whoever it was never gave me any ;)   5 weeks on backorder so far, now this change, no clue if the PRO will be upgrade soon because Line 6 wont tell us anything and if I have to wait months I don't know if I will be able to keep this cash in my pants.   I'm stir crazy and the doc said if I don't snap out if it, he might have to sedate me.    I've even gone to an extreme of rationalizing if I sold my first born, ate Ramen noodles for  a month, I might just order the Axe FX II and be broke and happy.   LOL.      

#14 gazengland

gazengland

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

so the price for the 500 is coming down

Paul Foeckler didn't say specifically, but I'm assuming if the price of the 500X is going to be the same as the current 500, then either the 500's price will come down, or it will be discontinued

#15 gazengland

gazengland

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

any interesting feature apart from the DSP power enhancement and new switches?

Not that I could see, you should only have to wait one more week for the full specs guys, Marcus Ryle said it should be officially announced by the end of next week, if not the week after for sure.

#16 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

From a product marketing point of view a new HD is unlikely as the existing units are already up there with Fractal's Axe II and the Kemper's Profiling Amp. The Axe II beats it the FX dept and the KPA beats it in the Amp modeling if you stick with the original profile'd amp. 

All of these are not better tone wise than the real amps in a real room mic'd with a real mic thru a real vintage pre amp and real FX pedals in the chain.

Each of these multi FX units implants their own sonic signature and it is this that one tires of. (After a year I am still happy) It is true too for the same real amp and same pre amp and mic, you tire the sound after a while. 

Variety of tone inspires

If a new HD model did come out with even more advanced modeling and FX and unlimited or a huge looper memory as well as the   hardware upgrades mentioned  it would be worth upgrading to if Line 6 keeps the cost around the same amount. It would be successful

I really don't think just a hardware/memory upgrade is going to be as successful but as a model replacement it'll continue to entice the next up  coming over what Roland/Boss/Zoom/Digitech put out unless they outdo in the modelling dept.

It is a possibility to stay on top of the game.

#17 Astaroth_CY

Astaroth_CY

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just want to remind everyone that all the major concerns and complaints people have with the HD500 (frequencies as percentages, shitty EQs, etc see all the relevant threads) are NOT addressed by the release of the HD500X.

#18 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

I was planning to get a G-Major 2 to go alongside the HD500, and I think I'm gonna stick to that plan.
That will be my hardware (and software) upgrade.

#19 unperfectcircle

unperfectcircle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Just want to remind everyone that all the major concerns and complaints people have with the HD500 (frequencies as percentages, shitty EQs, etc see all the relevant threads) are NOT addressed by the release of the HD500X.

if those are the final specs, I definitely agree...this seems like a good but partial fix of the old unit; at this point I would have waited some more time and released a brand new POD generation

#20 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

I can understand why they've done what they've done; it's exactly the same as when Boss replaced the RC20 with the RC20XL.

Processors and memory get so much cheaper so quickly that within a couple of years of releasing a unit, it actually becomes cheaper to manufacture with a faster processor or more memory as the older (in decreasing demand) parts lose the benefit of economies of scale.

So what do you do? Make a few basic cosmetic changes and flog the new, improved version for the same price.

I can't imagine many 500 owners (myself included) will see it as enough to upgrade, but it'll keep the product fresh for new customers - I bought an RC20XL when they came out, as I'd always seen the limited memory in the RC20 as a bit of a weakness so I hadn't bought one.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users