Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x L2T - Acoustic and Electric - Best way to hook up

I have the HD500x and a L2T and I want to have my electric run through the 500x (of course) and the acoustic run through channel 1. Can this all be done at the same time? will CH 1 run the acoustic and CH 2 run the 500x? Before I go out and purchase an acoustic pickup, I want to be sure this will work the way I want it to. I'd like to have them available at the same time so there's no unplugging and plugging etc...

Yes - you can do that. I sometimes use a similar setup with an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar through a POD HD500, and an L3t speaker. I find that my acoustic connected to Channel 1 of the speaker, and using the built in acoustic modeling in the speaker gives a better sound than the same acoustic through the HD500. I leave the electric connected to the Hd500 and just switch guitars as desired. If you get feedback from the acoustic when you're using the electric you just need to lower the input on your acoustic (speaker Channel 1) or use a sound hole damper on the acoustic guitar.

I prefer to connect theHD500 to the speaker's line inputs on the rear panel rather than to Channel 2 input. I do this for several reasons:

- it lets me connect a mic to the Channel 2 input for those times when I (or someone who can sing) feels so inclined. Or even to talk to an audience.

- by connecting both L and R Hd500 outputs to a stereo input pair you are sure that you are getting the full signal through the speaker. The Stagesource speakers are smart enough to sum the signal to mono if only one speaker is present. Which leads to.....

- if and when you want to connect a second Stagesource speaker to the first using 2-way L6 Link you will get a full stereo sound with no further adjustment.

I forgot to mention that the 500x is connected through the L6 Link. I can adjust the L2t using that channel 2 set of adjustments. I guess if i plug the acoustic into channel 1, that will give me the benefit of adjusting the sound via that channel. Can I still adjust the L2t sound via that 2nd channel for the electric? or just use the POD?

If you are connecting the HD via L6 Link then any Channel 2 adjustment should have no effect on the HD sound. In fact it should have no effect on anything if there is nothing physically connected to the Channel 2 input (unless your speaker is set to control the mixer settings on both Channels at the same time).

I still recommend connecting the HD using the analog connections, not L6 Link. The L6 Link connection seems to feed a higher-volume signal to the speaker. For me it's much more difficult to balance the acoustic and electric guitar volumes using L6 Link.

A further complication arises using L6 Link, which allows you to store the L2 speaker mode in the HD500 preset. By default, every preset in the HD500 sets the speaker to Electric Guitar mode. That may be great for your electric guitar but your acoustic guitar sounds better in PA/Reference mode. I find it easier to leave the speaker in PA/Reference mode, use the HD500 analog outputs rather than L6 Link, and not have to worry about what mode the speaker is in every time I switch between electric (HD preset determining the speaker mode) and acoustic guitar.

• Upvote 1