Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alternative Tunings JTV-59 & POD X3 Live

Hi first post my apologies if this has been asked before but couldn't see it after a quick browse. 

I've just purchased a JTV-59 and already have a POD X3 live, I was messing around with the two last night using Gearbox, and I could change the Variax model using the Pod X3 live, but didn't notice any option for selecting an alternative tuning to assign to the Pod X3 live patch. Had a good look through the manuals but no luck.

Can this be done somehow? or is it a case of creating a custom guitar model with an alternative tuning for the JTV using workbench hd and then assigning that guitar to the Pod X3 live patch. I know its only a quick turn of the dial on the JTV but most of the songs the band play will use alternative tunings so I'd have to turn the dial each time a new patch is selected.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Mark

I believe the functionality to store the alternate tuning info with the variax model info within the Pod patch was only added for the HD500 version in combination with the correct firmware on the JTV.  If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the X3 Live had been discontinued by the time they introduced this functionality.

If you are in the USA you may be able to get your hands on an HD500X for a great price at the moment if you wish to upgrade.  If you want to stay with the X3 Live then as you correctly stated you will have to create custom tunings within Workbench HD and store them in banks on your JTV and then store that bank/model selection info within the X3 Live patch to achieve single button recall of correct tuning from the Pod.

Cheers for reply I thought that might be the case, oh well, I think I'll have ago at creating some custom models and trying it out. Most of the time I use a M13 for effects straight into an amp for live stuff, the X3's used mainly for recording and playing at home.

Am in the UK so £360 is the average at the mo will have to hope for a Christmas bonus and maybe bite the bullet.

Thanks again.

I am in the UK too.    I have an HD500 and a JTV59, and I have to say the ability to step on a footswitch to change a patch which changes the amp and fx settings and at the same time changes the guitar model and tuning on my JTV is amazing!  I play in a function covers band and it is so incredibly useful to cover so many songs and genres with just one pedal board and one guitar.   The firmware on the HD500 allows you to select the Variax model tuning within the patch - so you don't need to use WB HD - just set the HD500 patch up to choose the guitar model and tuning.   So if your band plays lots of songs in alternate tunings and you don't want to have to keep remembering to pick the correct tuning on the JTV59 tuning dial - then the HD500X will be ideal for you!    That is - once you have worked out how to program it and get the sounds you want.     :)

• Upvote 1