Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When changing variax patches from hd500, does variax patch change for guitar output or only variax cable output?

I was curious about using my variax with other gear, and not having the the hd500 in the signal chain, but only using it to change guitar patches via the variax cable.

Im wondering if this will work. In particular Im wondering if the guitars sound through the regular guitar output actually changes when changing patches via the variax cable from the hd500, or if the guitar only changes sounds for the the variax cable connection.

I've seen videos where someone gets two sounds at once by using the variax cable connection for an acoustic sound and the standard guitar connection for the electric sound, which leads me to beleive that patch changes made via the variax cable may not be heard on the guitar output. Please let me know if you have experience with this. Thank you

The Variax guitar outputs the same sound/model over its VDI and 1/4" connection. Using your HD500 as you describe will work; without being in your signal change it will operate as a power supply to your Variax guitar, and can be used to change Variax models according to your preset specification. The changed model will be heard through your 1/4" output to your other gear.

The video you refer to could be using a Variax JTV with a VDI-equipped POD HD device. In this setup it is possible to create a dual-path preset with independent processing of a Variax acoustic model (Input1=Variax) and its on-board mag pickups (Input2=Variax Mags). That setup is only possible using the VDI connection; in that case the 1/4" output will depend on the Variax physical setting of the Model knob: Model or Mags.