Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stuck On Choice For New Backup Amp

I have an aging Peavey Special 212 with a zoom g9.2tt for my effects, that is starting to develop problems as my backup amp.  I have decided on Line 6 as my new backup amp.  However I am torn I have a pretty nice main rig but for smaller venues and nights I feel lazy enough not to lug a 412.  My 2 choices right now are the Spider IV 150 212 and the Spider Valve 212.  I have tried both in store and was impressed by both but since I was attempting to be mindful of those around me I couldnt give either a proper test.  Any feedback from anyone familliar with both models?  Also I have a nice assortment of speakers at my house I was wondering if swapping the speakers voided warranty.

Just want to add my thoughts. I'm not very familiar with either exact amp, but I do own an HD150 Spider IV head which is the 150 212 in a head version.  I play it though a 2x12 Marshall open back cabinet (G12T-75s). I've only played on a Spider Valve MII 212 at a music store.

For decades I've been a tube purist. I've always played through all tube amps because to my ear they've always had a superior sound to solid state amps. Recently however I bought the HD150 head as a backup to my JCM2000 Marshall head and when I tried playing the HD150 head at a rehearsal, the sound was so good that I decided to start using the HD150 as my gigging amp.

For me it's hard to completely evaluate an amp until I use it with a band. The HD150 has such an incredible sound to my ear (Diezal Herbert - higain green) when I play with drums and bass which goes against my tube purism. This is the first time I've ever preferred a solid state amp to a tube amp and the first time I've preferred anything to a Marshall equivalent. I'm sure that the Diezal Herbert that the higain green is modeling would be as good or better if I had one and it was cranked, but the HD150 Spider IV gets that power tube breakup sound at non-deafening sound levels that I need in most clubs we play.

I wish I would have played the Spider Valve mkii 212 more and with a band so I could speak more to it. It does sound great at all volume levels from what I could tell at the music store. I'm guessing that it might edge out the Spider IV 150 212 at higher volumes because of the real power tube breakup but at lower volumes it might not stand apart as much because both have Line 6's new excellent HD amp modeling.

After getting a chance to test the 212 valve and the Spider 4 212 with a drummer I was floored with how far the solidstate has come.  Granted the Valve was decidedly closer to my 6505+ the solidstate was very close in terms of quality with a bit of harshness.  I was a previous owner of a Spider 2 amp and am honestly floored by how far modeling has come.  Great product guys.  Here in about 2 weeks I will have a Spider 4 212 on order with the shortboard.

As I was saving for a Spider IV 212 a flextone III XL showed up at the store used that I could get right away, are there any cons on choosing a flextone over the spider IV like the older spiders being based off the POD 2 vs POD 3.0?

The Flextone uses an earlier Line 6 modeling. The newer "HD" modeling is supposed to contain 10 times more information than previous modeling and be more accurate to the amps being modeled. The Spider IV has the HD modeling. I would hold out for the Spider IV.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that the spider IV has HD modeling.... you have to go to the DT amps for that.....

The Flextone uses an earlier Line 6 modeling. The newer "HD" modeling is supposed to contain 10 times more information than previous modeling and be more accurate to the amps being modeled. The Spider IV has the HD modeling. I would hold out for the Spider IV.

I do have a HD500 board which does definitely have the hd modeling and It doesn't seem to be any better than the amp modeling on all of my spider IVs including the little 15 watt (which is why I use my HD150's modeling instead of the HD500 board when I gig) so I had just assumed that line 6 had incorporated their best modeling into all of their products.

Also Line 6's mention of the modeling for the Spider IVs as having "the best sounding amp models we've ever made" fed my assumption that the best amp models Line 6 have ever made were incorporated into the Spider IVs which I would assume were the HD amp models, but apparently not.

• 2 weeks later...

No may about it....Zap is correct.

Flextone III XL is X generation (XT and X3)...Selected Models....Spider IV is a different subset of models from the same generation...The only devices that use HD models are the HD PODS and the DT amplifiers....They also utilize M series FX which quite a bit better than the X gen stuff....

Whatever. Like I said, I own both the POD HD500 and a Spider IV HD150 head. Can't tell the difference in the model or effects quality. I actually like the Hi gain green (Diezel Herbert) on the HD150 better than any of  the POD HD500 amp models which is why I use it.

he wasn't "calling you out" he was just doing a knowledge drop... it's all good.

Whatever. Like I said, I own both the POD HD500 and a Spider IV HD150 head. Can't tell the difference in the model or effects quality. I actually like the Hi gain green (Diezel Herbert) on the HD150 better than any of  the POD HD500 amp models which is why I use it.