Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stumped! How do I do this....

How do I get this configured?

This is what I have:

Variax VDI-->HD500-->DT25-->DT50-->L2M

This is what I want to do:

Variax mags to the DT25 (J45) & DT50 (Divide by 13)

Variax acoustic to the L2M.

I'm stumped on how to make this happen.

Thanx

I don't think you can....

pretty sure that 2 independent models (you can have 4 amps though) is the max that you can address via line6link.

you really just need to go 1/4" out to the L2M via the effects loop for use with the tones that require it..... (not at the same time)

or get creative... i suppose... maybe you'll come up with something else suitable... but not exactly what you're asking.

I don't think you can....

pretty sure that 2 independent models (you can have 4 amps though) is the max that you can address via line6link.

you really just need to go 1/4" out to the L2M via the effects loop for use with the tones that require it..... (not at the same time)

or get creative... i suppose... maybe you'll come up with something else suitable... but not exactly what you're asking.

ok. Can I have the DT'S Variax mags and the acoustic L2M?

I thought L6 Link would allow for this???

I have been thinking of adding DT series amps to my HD500X and L3T.  From what I have seen, HD5000X to HD50 to HD50 to L3T all via L6 Link.   StageSource is always last. Is this not correct?  

I thought L6 Link would allow for this???

I have been thinking of adding DT series amps to my HD500X and L3T.  From what I have seen, HD5000X to HD50 to HD50 to L3T all via L6 Link.   StageSource is always last. Is this not correct?

HD50? I assume you mean DT50. Correct? And when you say stage source you mean your L3T correct? Just trying to get my terms right

you might be able to do something like that if you split the path left and right... i don't have the exact setup... but i think you can if you send the same amp model to the DT's.

when you say left and right are you saying amp 1 left amp 2 right? Or amp 1 left/right and amp 2 Left/right?

How should the path for the L2M be set?

L6Link as far as i know.... doesn't play well with a mix of L and DT.

i don't have them to experiment on.... but i'm pretty sure that this is the case.

if i recall correctly, it's about the output mode and how the pods cannot send more than 1 output mode out at a time....

ideally you'd want studio out the L and combo out the DT.. i believe....

• Upvote 1

HD50? I assume you mean DT50. Correct? And when you say stage source you mean your L3T correct? Just trying to get my terms right

You are correct.  I have a L3T.   I am thinking of purchasing DT amps.   Possibly DT50's.   But I want to know if it will work. 

You are correct.  I have a L3T.   I am thinking of purchasing DT amps.   Possibly DT50's.   But I want to know if it will work. 

Looks like you have something similar to what I want.  POD with two DT's and stage source.    How is that working? Or are you still working on it?

Thanks for the feedback.

L6Link as far as i know.... doesn't play well with a mix of L and DT.

i don't have them to experiment on.... but i'm pretty sure that this is the case.

if i recall correctly, it's about the output mode and how the pods cannot send more than 1 output mode out at a time....

ideally you'd want studio out the L and combo out the DT.. i believe....

I keep my pod on Studio Out for all my patches. I use "Pre" models and turn off the cab simulation. What am I missing out on by doing it this way? Not that I'm going to change, but it would be nice to get further knowed up about my gear.

So since my output setting isn't an issue, are you still suggesting that I XLR out of the pod into the L2M instead of using it in the L6 Link chain?

I've got 2 DT amps an L2M and a Variax…..There just HAS to be a way to make this happen!

I keep my pod on Studio Out for all my patches. I use "Pre" models and turn off the cab simulation. What am I missing out on by doing it this way? Not that I'm going to change, but it would be nice to get further knowed up about my gear.

So since my output setting isn't an issue, are you still suggesting that I XLR out of the pod into the L2M instead of using it in the L6 Link chain?

I've got 2 DT amps an L2M and a Variax…..There just HAS to be a way to make this happen!

I'm on board with this.  I do not have the two DT amps yet, but want them to connect to my POD 500X and L3t,  all with L6 Link and also likely a Variax to complete the deal.

I've seen video demos where the L and DT were used.  Can't help to figure it out bc I don't have the equipment but agree that there is a way to make it work.

I'm on board with this.  I do not have the two DT amps yet, but want them to connect to my POD 500X and L3t,  all with L6 Link and also likely a Variax to complete the deal.

I've seen video demos where the L and DT were used.  Can't help to figure it out bc I don't have the equipment but agree that there is a way to make it work.

Where have you seen a demo of it done? In person or video? If it was a video, could you share the link?

Where have you seen a demo of it done? In person or video? If it was a video, could you share the link?

YouTube video.   Search for (ex) Line 6 Dream Rig reviews.  Want to say Andertons  had some reviews but think there were others as well.   That is what got be started on this adventure, the fact that everything in the Dream Rig was compatible and expandable all the way  up to StageScape. 

I can't find 2 DT amps and 1 L-Series Dream Rig demo anywhere, any place! But I did find this:

Not quite what I have. but I do have questions:

• Do you think both L-Series speakers are carrying the acoustic signal or just one? (he doesn't say anything about that)
  • When he fades in the DT do you think that signals are feeding both L-Series speakers and the DT or just one L-Series and the DT?
  • What output mode do you think he is using on the HD? Studio? Combo?
  • He is using the L6 link for all speakers and DT. How is he able to do this if the recommendation is to use studio out for the L-Series and combo out for the DT? The Pod can't do that.

Riddle me that Mr. Zap!

Ok, not an "ideal" solution, but this would 'technically' work:

-run the acoustic models via the 1/4" out from the JTV directly into the L2m.

-run the JTV->VDI->HD500->L6Link->DT25->DT50.

This will at least allow you to run the two amp models into the two DT's using the correct settings, and it will get the acoustic tones into the L2 in 'studio/reference/PA' mode, as set on the speaker.

An additional routing, you could then send the two XLR / DI outs from the DT amps into the L2m..

Next you are going to have me patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time while reciting the alphabet backwards.

That definitely can work. And you are right, it's not ideal. I hope you can detect the tongue in my cheek! You are always helpful on this forum! 

There has to be a simple approach that I am not seeing. 

I can do it with one DT and an L but the second DT throws the equation into a tail spin.

Help us out line 6 with a more detailed "connectivity series for the Dream Rig!"

Thanx Colonel!

• Upvote 1

I can't find 2 DT amps and 1 L-Series Dream Rig demo anywhere, any place! But I did find this:

Not quite what I have. but I do have questions:

• Do you think both L-Series speakers are carrying the acoustic signal or just one? (he doesn't say anything about that)
  • When he fades in the DT do you think that signals are feeding both L-Series speakers and the DT or just one L-Series and the DT?
  • What output mode do you think he is using on the HD? Studio? Combo?
  • He is using the L6 link for all speakers and DT. How is he able to do this if the recommendation is to use studio out for the L-Series and combo out for the DT? The Pod can't do that.

Riddle me that Mr. Zap!

You're obviously a lot smarter than I am, that is over my head as of now.

Here is another link.  More in line with what you have.  I have seen others videos along with the one you found.

Wonder if my answer to get good stereo acoustic and electric is to just get a 2nd L3.

I Figured it out!:

Awesome Tbone!

Please share.  What is the configuration?  HD>>DT>DT>L all with L6 Link?

Does it require the second expression pedal?

Do you like the combination of 50 and 25 watt DT's?  Would two 50's be better?

Would a second L series (in my case L3t or m) in lieu of second DT like the video you posted be an alternative?

Stoked that you figured it out.  Can maybe continue on my journey.

Think I need the Variax too.

Awesome Tbone!

Please share.  What is the configuration?  HD>>DT>DT>L all with L6 Link?

Does it require the second expression pedal?

Do you like the combination of 50 and 25 watt DT's?  Would two 50's be better?

Would a second L series (in my case L3t or m) in lieu of second DT like the video you posted be an alternative?

Stoked that you figured it out.  Can maybe continue on my journey.

Think I need the Variax too.

I got so excited about how to do a screen shot and how to post it on here, I forgot to answer your questions

You don't have to have a second expression pedal but it sure helps.

I do like the combination of the DT25 and the DT50. 2 DT50's would definitely be louder but I'm not so sure I would call that better. The 50 is good at loud and clean and the 25 is good at loud and dirty without having to sop up blood from everyones ears. The 25 is plenty loud enough and the 50 is there to add to my overall volume if needed without add more distortion.So far so good!

As far a a second L-Series speaker instead of a DT?…. I've never been sold on the Idea of using a L- Series speaker as an amp for my electric guitar. I don't like the way they sound. The interaction between the pickups and the speaker is different with the L's and I have never been a fan. The full models sound way to processed to me through the L's. I only use "Pre" models through the my DTs and they just sound more organic to me. The DT's respond the way a an amp is supposed to. They're dynamic. I can have a tube screamer cranked way up and use a light touch and you would think i was playing a totally clean patch until I dug in and made it scream. I can't do that with the L. They don't respond that way for me.  I use mine strictly for acoustic guitar tones which it handles pretty well. 

Yes! Get a Variax! Sean Halley hooked me up with the Suhr pickup swap idea. That took the JTV over the top for me. Though I recently got this Strat and the pickups in this thing sound amazing!

But it can't play acoustic guitar in drop D!

Cheers

I got so excited about how to do a screen shot and how to post it on here, I forgot to answer your questions

You don't have to have a second expression pedal but it sure helps.

I do like the combination of the DT25 and the DT50. 2 DT50's would definitely be louder but I'm not so sure I would call that better. The 50 is good at loud and clean and the 25 is good at loud and dirty without having to sop up blood from everyones ears. The 25 is plenty loud enough and the 50 is there to add to my overall volume if needed without add more distortion.So far so good!

As far a a second L-Series speaker instead of a DT?…. I've never been sold on the Idea of using a L- Series speaker as an amp for my electric guitar. I don't like the way they sound. The interaction between the pickups and the speaker is different with the L's and I have never been a fan. The full models sound way to processed to me through the L's. I only use "Pre" models through the my DTs and they just sound more organic to me. The DT's respond the way a an amp is supposed to. They're dynamic. I can have a tube screamer cranked way up and use a light touch and you would think i was playing a totally clean patch until I dug in and made it scream. I can't do that with the L. They don't respond that way for me.  I use mine strictly for acoustic guitar tones which it handles pretty well. 

Yes! Get a Variax! Sean Halley hooked me up with the Suhr pickup swap idea. That took the JTV over the top for me. Though I recently got this Strat and the pickups in this thing sound amazing!

But it can't play acoustic guitar in drop D!

Cheers

Many thanks for your help.   Was wondering if it was in the HD Edit mixer.  Hard to try without the amps.

No drop D acoustic would be very bad. I like other tunings but double drop D on acoustic is probably my most used.

I don't know what you are saying about the pickup swap.  How did you hook up with Sean Halley?  

I am not looking for volume as opposed to great tone.  Having the two 12 Celestian's has been driving me towards the DT50. I have assumed that they might provide more flexibility as far as tone.   But how much more tone can you get?   Maybe go with the DT50/DT25 combo like you have.  I have yet to actually see a DT in person so your feedback has been enormous for me. 

I've only had the POD and L3 for a few days.  Reaching the point of information overload, but it is coming together.   You have certainly helped. Restored faith in my plan.  Likely going to get two DT's.  And a Variax.

Go forth and play happy. 

Thanks again.