Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Longer USB for recording, possibility of latency?

mike86325

I'm thinking about buying a longer USB cord (16 ft as opposed to our 6 ft one), but wondering if this might introduce any latency. I know that USB extenders, hubs, etc have a tendency to cause latency or other issues, but I'm wondering if just having a longer cable will be OK. If anyone has already given this a shot please let me know. Thanks in advance! 

I use a very long cable as well for the SPDIF connection and noticed no latency. Time delay thru a cable is roughly 2ns/ft or less, so latency due to cable delay will be negligible. The biggest problem will be whether or not your system can drive a cable that long. It should if it meets spec.

• Upvote 1

:)

Sound travels 1,129 ft/s (Wikipedia) which is 13.548 inches per millisecond, roughly varying with pressure, temperature and humidity.  Millisecond to nanosecond is divide by 1,000,000.

2ns/foot as pfsmith0 says is a typical speed for a electromagnetic wave down a conductor (which is between 40% and 70% of the speed of light)

So my figure is only for the delay of 1ns caused by an additional 6" of cable, but I was rushing a bit.

The 16' chord is 10' longer than the 6' chord so adds a 20ns delay, which is the equivalent of moving the head just 20 x 0.0000135 = 0.00027 inches further away.

Yes, technically the extra cable length does increase latency, but by an amount that would only be noticeable when examining the waveforms on an oscilloscope (sound at 1K has a wavelength of over 1').

I practice we are talking digital sound, and at 96K sample rates each sample covers 0.0000104167 of a second, and 20ns is 0.000000020, so you would need over 5000' of cable to delay the signal by even 1 sample.  

USB input delay is swamped by the digital processing of it.  All of this BS here applies to analog signals.

The discussion is about potential latency from a longer USB cable which like all communications signals carries an analogue signal that encodes the digital signal. There is no such thing as a 1 or a 0 over a bit of wire, there are voltage thresholds over and under which the voltage being received is interpreted as being a 1 or a 0. 

As I said at the end, you have to go over 5000' before you get a single audio sample of delay and I'm not carrying that cable in my gig bag.

The discussion is about potential latency from a longer USB cable which like all communications signals carries an analogue signal that encodes the digital signal. There is no such thing as a 1 or a 0 over a bit of wire, there are voltage thresholds over and under which the voltage being received is interpreted as being a 1 or a 0. 

As I said at the end, you have to go over 5000' before you get a single audio sample of delay and I'm not carrying that cable in my gig bag.

That's a long run for a cable. What is that just short of a mile. Lol