Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 - Flash Update Mode error

adamchin

Hi,

I bought an M5 used and started to notice a ground hum coming from it (With the unit being operational).

I found a link on the site that explained an issue with screws on the bottom not making good contact with the chassis, and tried the steps.

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/88421

When I plugged in the unit now the LCD display just faintly blinks but the main screen doesn't come up.  Before that it makes a flashing and maybe 5 ticking noises......

I thought maybe something went a rye, so I put the unit into Flash update mode by holding down both foot switches.

It say "FLASH UPDATE MODE  WAITING COMMAND..."

I then went into Line 6 monkey, and in the listing in the middle the Device Firmware shows as Flash Memory, and Unknown for installed, 1.0 for Newest.   I attempt to update the selection (button), and get an error :  Update failed.  (Code 80000000A) And undefined error occurred:....

See attached.

Hmmm... What to do next???

Thanks,

Adam

Anyone have any ideas? Is this box hosed beyond repair?

post-432892-0-01772300-1418996351_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RealZap,

I got the M-Audio Uno and successfully updated the Flash rom.

Line 6 Monkey would only do it by downloading and updating (not via choosing a file).

After that it took a bit of plugging and un-plugging the unit to get it to boot up to a lit LCD.

It seems partially operational (buttons controlling menus on screen), but no signal is flowing thru input (mono), to output.  I'll play with it more tomorrow as I've forgotten some of the basics of how the pedal works (perhaps there's a master setting via menus).

A bit of progress anyway :)

It's all working now!

I needed to do a Factory Reset.  Found the the M5 Pilot handbook was a tad off direction wise for doing this.

Good thing the Line 6 web site has the exact correct steps:

M5: Press and hold the TAP button and tap the Model Select knob to enter the setup menu. Tap the model select knob until you see the MIDI, Tempo and Gate functions. Turn the model select knob until the corresponding display shows RST FACT. Hold the On/Off switch and tap the model select knob twice to reset the M5.

Thanks Line 6 Expert "TheRealZap"!

Adam

• Upvote 1

Well....I may have spoke too soon.

When I plugged it in this morning by pushing in the Line 6 power plug, the screen showed up as off, and faint blinking again.

I tried pushing in and out after a few seconds, nothing.

Then, I tried some process of elimination where I remove the patch cables from input and output (mono).  Nothing..

Then, oddly by chance when I plugged in the output L(mono), the LCD lit up.

But no signal went thru.  I may be SOL.