Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seeking clarity: HD500 as USB Audio Interface

d1stewart

There's not much guidance in the HD500 manuals, so I'm trying to figure out: Can I use the POD HD500 as a USB audio interface, with microphone plugged into the XLR mic jack, Variax into the VDI, and a bass plugged into the guitar input? I want to be able to play through with guitar (or bass) and vocals at the same time, playing through POD Farm (maybe) and into GarageBand.

Does that work?

I can't figure out from the manual (and haven't received my HD500 yet to check live) whether the vocal goes through a separate route and is thus unaffected by the guitar effects patch.

I appreciate clarification on this. Thanks!

Yes, you can simultaneously record guitar or bass with vocals and have seperate processing using a dual path preset. Here is the preset setup. Adjust the guitar path for your electric or bass processing, and the vocal path as desired. Just keep the preset structure the same. In your DAW arm two tracks for recording. Select the HD500 L output as the input source for one track and the R output for the other.

Normally you would use the guitar path for either electric guitar or bass, not both. But if you want to use the same processing for both, and record them to the same track, you could do that by setting the Hd500 Input for the guitar path to be Guitar+Variax.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/215659/

Note that you can download and install the HD500 Edit program and run it without an Hd500 connected, so you can inspect this preset by downloading it and drag/dropping it into HD500 Edit.