Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question About Hd500 To Guitar Amp's Return

Bac0

I have a 60W combo valve amp (H&K statesman 6L6) and the HD500, I wanted to play live on that by entering into the amp's return and using the "no cab" on the pod. My question is, the guitar amp has EQ knobs for the two channels, a reverb knob, a presence knob, volume knob (channel 1, clean) and master knob (channel 2, gain), and a boost button. If i bypass the preamp, do I bypass ALL EQ/volume/reverb knobs and the boost? Do I use none of the amp channels at all? I wanted to know this because I plan to leave all the EQ/reverb/boost stuff to the pod, and I must know if leaving my amp knobs and buttons in casual positions will affect my sound. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have got the statesman too, and want to use the POD hd 500 with the 4CM. Could one of you tell me how you exactly connected the Statesman with the POD?

And what positions do your poti have on Amp and POD?

With my setup the Sounds that are placed after the effects loop (Reverb, Delay) in the POD do not reach the Amp output (only the guitar signal with pre effects).

I have put a DI-Box between POD Out and Return of the Statesman. You can perfectly hear the Reverb and Delay on the Mixer.

Thanks for help!

I'm still new at this myself. I play my HD500 into a 15W Fender Blues Junior or a 100W Twin Amp. I turn the EQs to 5 (neutral) but keep a touch of reverb. My volume knobs are at 4 or 5, loud but clean.

After going back and forth, I prefer the Studio Out to the combo front setting. It's just a matter of person preference, but I think I can better shape my sounds that way.

I use the PODHD into the Effect Return of my amp and, atleast for me, using a PreAmp instead of the Full Amp and still using a Cab in the PODHD works best for me.  Even though I'm going through an Amp and Cab already.  Also the Studio Direct Out is what I use too.

My experiance is, try all the settings you can.  Which ever one works best for you is the right one.  The good thing about the PODHD is it has lots of different ways it can be configured.  The bad thing is it has lots of differant ways it can be configured. 

If i bypass the preamp, do I bypass ALL EQ/volume/reverb knobs and the boost?

Your amp has a preamp and a power amp. The power amp has the sole purpose of amplifying the preamp (in most cases), the power amp also has it's own distortion/gain when you crank it.

If you bypass the preamp, the power amp will amplify whatever is in its place, but it's not 100% clean, add to this the power amp's own distortion/gain.

s