Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If you could only use 2 amps what would they be?

aerosol_d7

1) for crunch I find myself using the Park 75 a lot. It's a nice warm sound in its own and then adding a tube drive or screamer can drive it into an amazing high gain sound.

2) for clean there is no pristine clean amp on the pod hd (I know many have requested a Roland for that). I like the Blackface double but it is very quiet. I actually started using the Plexi Normal to do some clean sounds.

I am running all this through my DT25 which really makes the whole thing work. The Plexi as a clean amp worka for me because at Pentode A/B there is a lot of headroom so it can get pretty loud and stay relatively clean.

Dirty: Plexi w/ T75 cab.   Works for cleans pretty well too and with dirt pedal pulls off cruch to pretty heavy stuff.

Clean: Divided by 15. Not a real clean amp but I love the bluesy grit and it pulls off a pretty good clean. Blackface Double a very close second. I really could probably do with either.

I used to prefer the fenders for clean sounds using my studio monitors, but since I have a Roland GA-212 (I use it as a powered cab using the stereo line inputs), the Vox AC-30 has become my favorite amp on the HD500, next to the Vetta Juice compressor and the 421 dynamic mic.

For dirty sounds I can use the same amp model, adding the tube drive, the color drive, or even the RAT (classic distortion).

By the way, I use the ES-335 model in the neck position 90% of the time, with my JTV-89 (1.9 firmware)

But if I had to mention another model, I also like the Dr.Z Route 66 ("PhD Motorway"), from which am able to get some amazing funk tones, along with the fender stratocaster.

I think with these two amps and those two guitars I already have almost everything I need, but sometimes I like to try other things. Recently I made a preset with the "Gibtone 185" I'm also really enjoying to play jazz.

I wouldn't have bought my unit if I was limited to those choices, but I can play along with the game... 

Assuming I had only two choices, I would have to stick with the 'tried and true', long running industry standard bearers  

Fender and Marshall

Odds are, no matter what music you play, you can survive with those two. 

Sure, if you play only one certain type of music, something may be better suited than others. But I feel like, if I have a Fender and Marshall, I can play all types of music.  

• Upvote 1

Do the three Soldano amps count as one? Because in reality they are one. If so, then all three of those and the Flip-Top with associated cabs.

If all three Soldano amps don't count as one, then the Soldano Overdrive and Flip-Top with associated cabs.

But only being limited to two amps, I would definitely not have bought such a guitar processor in the first place. Three would probably do it for me though.

I like the Marshall Plexi and the Fender Bassman; normal and bright for both, depends on the specifics, but any pair of those two are really good.

Your question is quite interesting, because as of late, I have been wanting to get a second DT25 combo, so I can run my rig in both "dual amp" mode, panned center, but also with some stereo effects for certain musical moments.

Since you can control the mix on a per patch basis, it would be easy to take it from center-center dual amp models, into cool panned amp models, and then to full stereo based effects, chorus, delays, etc.

In my latest setup I'm usin the Park 75 for a clean sound (drive 13).

It's really warm and crispy.

I have a Lex Bos Superdrive in the effects loop (insanely beautiful tube drive from Holland).

HD500X is connected to my DT25

I have never had such good tones before!

Wow .... thought this would be an easier choice but actually it's been pretty difficult for me to pin down to a choice of 2.

In the end I went for

"British" style ..... Park 75 - can basically do all the classic "Marshall ( Brit ) tones from clean to hard rock ( even "Metal" with stomps )

"American" style .... Fender Bassman - can do classic fender cleans through to crunch.

Honourable mentions to the Dr Z, Divided by 13, Vox AC30 and Plexi models

• Upvote 1