Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig settings on amp?

Just got my Dream Rig.. with my Lake Placid Blue JTV-69 being the last piece of the puzzle.   One question I've had from the beginning that I have yet to find answers for.. how to set up my DT-25 amp?   I have my Variax plugged in via the VDI cable to my POD HD500x and the HD500x plugged into the DT-25 via an XLR cable.    Where do I ultimately want to keep the knobs on the DT-25??   It's my understanding that the amp will be controlled by the HD500x?    If someone could go over the setting on the amp and HD500x to get me started, I'd appreciate it! 

Also, I'm thinking of selling the DT25 and buying a Line 6 L2T... seems a lot simpler and from what I've read, the acoustic sounds would be better?    Don't want to get rid of anything until I have it dialed in the way it's supposed to be...

Thanks guys!

Dave

There's very little to set up on the DT-25 with the HD500X. The only knobs that you really need to worry about are the Master Volume and the Reverb. The switch for Low Volume Mode also matters. But other than that, all the other settings will be controlled by the preset on the HD500X. Regarding the reverb, I'd probably start with the reverb on the DT-25 off. I'd only use it if you find yourself running into the DSP limit of the 500X. But because you're using the pre amp models, that shouldn't be a big issue.

Also, I'm thinking of selling the DT25 and buying a Line 6 L2T

It's subjective, I have a pair of L2t's and a single DT25 combo; looking to add another DT25 combo to my rig for when I play with my band.

I like the HD500 sounds in "FRFR", IE, with the L2t's, in Studio/Direct when I am working on recording at home, or playing alone.

However, I have always had issues when playing with my band - two electric guitar, bass and drum - hearing myself when using the HD500 direct to mixer, or in any variation of 'studio direct'. I tried various other amps, keyboard amps, I tried through the mixer into floor monitors, and through the L2t's.

The issue there is more my own: I have drastic hearing loss in one ear that has been with me since a very young age. Ear infection, one eardrum burst, the other did not - some kind of reaction to anti biotics. So, for those of you with good ears, this may not be an issue.

So, for me, I gotta have the amp near me, up on an amp stand. Why I like the DT25 for this scenario, is that even though the HD500 gets configured into 'combo/poweramp' ; since I run the XLR out from the DT to the M20d mixer-> L2t floor monitors, I still get a "PA / recording / monitor friendly" XLR send.

Main benefits of using the DT25 for me:

1. I can hear myself when everyone else gets rockin, especially drums. Amp stand = crucial! I use this amp stand

2. My recording signal is "isolated", so it can be mixed easily later when I load the dry tracks into ProTools.

3. My signal can be easily sent to the floor monitors so I don't have to crank the DT25 for everyone else to hear me. And when we play live, the same basic reasons all apply for live situations as well.

What's not ideal, is the acoustic tones from the JTV; and for now, I just deal with it by not really dealing with it..

I've tried some of the tricks, so far the issue I have is that the JTV acoustic tones don't like being in 'combo/poweramp' mode.

Which is why for a lot of folks, the L2/ L3 are the best bet. A side note to that: they just price dropped the L3 price by $200, so you can now get an L3m for $699, which is only $50 more than the L2m. 

What I would personally like to do, is get another DT25 1x12 combo, and for the time being, not overly concern myself with trying to use the JTV acoustic models with the DT rig. I think the crux of the issue there, which might be something to be addressed in future JTV updates, is that there is no "piezo" version of the acoustic guitar. They are all "mic'd acoustic" guitar models, which are not the right fit for a rig voiced to optimize electric guitars. I think a piezo type version of the acoustic guitar models would be something that might be usable with the DT amps, but that's just speculation for now! Though I am guessing there are variations of this idea on IdeaScale..

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Clean-piezo-signal-from-JTV/515946-23508

I managed with ColonelForbin's help to set up my dream Rig with 3 patches and efx in one day and played out on a Gig which went well so I would have a look for the post he sent me. I updated my 500x today via monkey and thought I broke the thing it turns out the update allows you to use the master volume with line 6 link which you could not before and my master was set low so watch out for this.

Basically what I do is set the volume for what I use at a gig on the DT25 if I am at home I switch the low output switch on at the rear of the amp before I get arrested.  Set your patch up on the pod with master full up and control the output of each patch with the Chanel volume on the pod if you are not happy with the volumes between each patch you or need small fine adjustments you can use the mixer in the pod on each patch if necessary.

• Upvote 1

See the quote below.  I recently finished my rig with a JTV-69S, DT25 head and cab, POD HD500X and L3t all connected with Line 6 Link/VDI interfaces.  I have a second DT25 combo waiting to be picked up.  

I received the POD and L3t first and loved it. Then cot the head and cab and started having issues.  I am hoping the second DT25 combo will help.  Am hoping to have a left/right and center with the L3t in the back of the chain as the center.

I have downloaded the workbench exchange but and have seen where some people went to considerable effort to help with this but I have yet to figure it out.

I do need help with the volume issue.

I see others have posted while I'm writing but I'm not losing this again!

Cool using this forum. 

I am new to the HD500X.  I had been using an PODxt Live.

I get a patch sound that I like.  I save the selected patch and the volume is significantly different?? Took a patch from the library that I liked.  Changed the delay and added a delay. Result significant change in volume. 

What can I do to get the volume levels for different patches to be similar?

Jimmy

1 hour into the 2nd DT25.   The 2nd amp helps a lot.  DT25 Left, DT25 Right, L3t left-right. Can't wait to spend some time with it.

Still need to figure out volume but I'm literally unboxing and plugging in.  

Really easy to set up with L6 link/XLR cables.  Now to work with HD Edit more.  

Starting point tips on the volume would be appreciated.  Pre-amp? Mixer? But how do I set?

My approach to leveling tones for use with DT is to put the mixer at the end of the effects chain and adjust mixer gain down to compensate for different DT power amp configurations.

I start out with leveled tones as heard (or measurable) via HD USB output using 0dB mixer gain keeping peaks to roughly less than -12dBFS and measuring 'leveling' using RMS levels and fine tuning by ear.

Once I have that base tone I use a table to adjust the mixer to compensate for DT power amp amplification differences due to Type/Class/Tube and preamp selection (the latter and the Presence knob have some amplification impact as I found out through experimentation).

I use the Master knob on the HD strictly to adjust to venue.

It's a bit cumbersome, but I have good success using this approach w/o getting surprises.

If you start a new tone from scratch, decide on the preamp, dial in approximate drive and tone stack settings, dial in the mixer gain (per table), fine tune and compare loudness with an already existing tone. Once you got the base tone right add effects while attempting to not change levels.

Try it before you invest in a large effort to change your tone library.

Good luck,

Martin

My approach to leveling tones for use with DT is to put the mixer at the end of the effects chain and adjust mixer gain down to compensate for different DT power amp configurations.

Would this approach work with "dual" DT amps and/or stereo DT configuration? (IE, two DT25 combos..)

I don't recall how the mixer works for dual amp models.

Thanks for all the work you put in on this! I downloaded that spreadsheet and printed it out, looking over the numbers now. Makes sense to think about it in terms of the poweramp side of the equation, rather than the preamp. It seems like the volume jumps are occuring when changing power amp / typology more so that with just preamp changes.

This will be helpful for dialing in my single DT25 now, and if/when I add the second DT25, will help alot!

I hope to do dual DT25's with two amp models in each patch, so knowing how to pair up compatible typologies will be crucial.

I haven't taken the time to think it through like this before. Makes the whole thing seem a lot more clear! The preamp portions are the Line6 side, the power amp are the Bogner. This is clutch!~ It's how to pair the fewer selections of "Bogner" configurations with the larger# of "Line6" preamps. It would appear various preamp models share comparable power amp settings - this is so cool...

THANKS!

:)

I have not thought about different dual poweramps, but think that this would not work because the HD sends only one power amp topology/class/tube selection to the DT(s). What you'd get is stereo using a single DT poweramp selection in both DTs (at least as long as you rely on L6 Link for connection and control through a single HD). There may be some way around this, but I don't see how right now unless yo set it all manually.

While not totally fexible, you can use dual preamps in the HD, but you only get one power amp config to pick in the DT(s) even if you have 2, I think. ;-(

Martin

I have not thought about different dual poweramps, but think that this would not work because the HD sends only one power amp topology/class/tube selection to the DT(s). What you'd get is stereo using a single DT poweramp selection in both DTs (at least as long as you rely on L6 Link for connection and control through a single HD). There may be some way around this, but I don't see how right now unless yo set it all manually.

While not totally fexible, you can use dual preamps in the HD, but you only get one power amp config to pick in the DT(s) even if you have 2, I think. ;-(

Martin

yeah, I was unsure too; I also didn't know *this* little nugget of info:

"Note that two or more DT Series amps can also be connected using L6 LINK without POD

HD, which provides sync of the controls on all DT amps. Please see the additional DT Series
amplifier documentation for details on this type of setup"

Martin

Ok, from what I can tell - and reading the DT link manual is confusing me more than helping me understand, what I *think* they are saying, is if you Link two DT25's (for example) and configure the HD500 to use two different amp models, and configure the HD500 link properties correctly, you essentially have 'sync' between two DT25's (channel A in each amp) and their respective amp model settings (A and B) in the HD500. It get's confusing between what the HD500 considers A and B, vs what the DT's think of as A and B. In this case, amp model A gets sent to DT25 #1 channel A, and amp model B gets sent to DT25 #2 channel A. I don't think it uses channel B in either DT25 in this scenario.

The exact quote that I am going on is this:

• AMP A (CH 1): Sets Channel A of the respective DT amp to “sync†to the POD
HD Amp Model A.

The DT amp will auto-configure its tube power amp Topology settings (Class
AB/A, Voicing Mode, Pentode/Triode, and more) to match the current POD
HD500 Preset’s Amp Model A. 

•  AMP B (CH 2): Sets Channel A of the respective DT amp to “sync†to the POD

HD Amp Model B.

• The DT amp Channel A auto-configures its tube power amp settings to match
the current POD HD Preset’s Amp Model B. "

Then, just to keep me confused, they threw this is right after:

• When a DT amp switches to Channel B and multiple DT amps are connected,