14 replies to this topic

#1 frmat

frmat

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

To whom it may concern; here's how you get your POD HD Pro to function properly with a linux based OS.

First off, you need a supported OS to run inside of your Linux OS, so get yourself a disc image (.iso) of Windows/OS-X. Note that I have only tried this with Windows XP Pro 32-bit under Ubuntu 12.04, so I really have no idea whether or not it works the same for OS-X and/or other hosts.

Next, you'll need to set up a virtual system using a neat application called VirtualBox. Instructions on how to do this can be found in this video:

(Virtualbox can be downloaded from https://www.virtualbox.org/)

Now, once you've got your virtual system up and running and have installed the guest additions and what not, there are a few steps you need to take in order to enable USB support in you guest OS:

1. Shut down your virtual machine.

2. Connect your Pod.

3. In the Virtualbox UI, go to the virtual machine's "settings" page.

4. Under the "USB" tab, make sure that the option "Enable USB controller" is checked.

Make sure the option "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller" is NOT checked.

5. Below the two aforementioned options is a list of USB device filters (probably empty).

Click the small icon on the right hand side to add a filter, you should see your Pod listed along with any other connected devices.

Create a filter for the Pod (no need to change any filter settings), and make sure it is checked.

6. There is a user group created by VirtualBox, called "vboxusers". You need to add yourself to this group.

If you do not have the "Users and Groups" application in your user interface, open a terminal and enter the following command:

sudo adduser "username" vboxusers, "username" being whatever your username is (without the quotation marks).

7. Reboot your computer.

8. Run your virtual machine and connect you Pod. If it isn't recognized by the guest OS, look under "Devices"»"USB devices" in the

top menu bar. Make sure the Pod is checked.

That should be just about it, although I may have left something out.

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

nice of you to share... but using a virtual machine, is hardly real use in the linux environment...

to anyone reading this, i'd suggest saving the headaches and just installing a supported OS....

but i do realize that some people insist on using whatever, so your suggestion is a workaround of sorts.

#3 frmat

frmat

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Of course it isn't. Perhaps I should have named the topic differently. It is my understanding that use in the actual Linux environment will not be possible until Line 6 decides to develop software to support it.

However, the obvious benefit of this setup is not having to reboot into a different OS to connect your Pod. Also, the guest OS in virtualbox can share dedicated folders with the host system, so that you have easy acess to anything that might be relevant to your work.

#4 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Of course it isn't. Perhaps I should have named the topic differently. It is my understanding that use in the actual Linux environment will not be possible until Line 6 decides to develop software to support it.

However, the obvious benefit of this setup is not having to reboot into a different OS to connect your Pod. Also, the guest OS in virtualbox can share dedicated folders with the host system, so that you have easy acess to anything that might be relevant to your work.

I wouldn't hold my breath for native Linux support.  But, the VM approach is quite workable.  I've been happily running HD500 and Variax Workbench under VMware Workstation since last fall (along with Fender FUSE and a bunch of other MI related apps).

The one "gotcha" is that under Windows XP the VMware audio device prevents Line6 Monkey from initializing.  This just means I need to deactivate the sound card and restart on the rare occasions when I need to flash firmware.  There are no conflicts under normal use of either workbench.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#5 dbgrant

dbgrant

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

I've been using VirtualBox, Windows 7 guest in Ubuntu 12.10 host with no problems. I posted the method and one or two workarounds (similar to frmat's here) in this thread...

http://line6.com/sup.../message/390334

Long live the penguin. Cheers!

db

#6 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

1486.strip.gif

#7 helvede

helvede

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hei!

I can report that the "Line 6 POD HD500X" works too here on a amd64 arch linux box with at the moment 3.12.0-1 stock arch kernel and "virtualbox-bin 4.3.0-1" from aur && "virtualbox-guest-iso 4.3.2-1" && "virtualbox-host-modules 4.3.2-4" with "POD HD500X Edit 2.23" and "Line6 Monkey 1.65"

I'm quite happy about that. BUT a NATIVE LINUX Software would be great!! just wanted to say that. probaly we should start some signing that we (and line 6) see how many Linux users with Line6 porducts are out there ...

thanks "frmat" for the hint with unchecking the ehci box, that lead to success.

windows is NO alternativ for me!

#8 hitmaker

hitmaker

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

I run into a problem at step 5...

In this case, 'Pod X3 Live' is not listed as a device in the add filter menu within virtualbox settings. (btw I can confirm it is definitely connected and turned on)

Any ideas?

I'm running the VM inside of Ubuntu 13.10 on a lenovo B570 laptop

Best wishes

Sean

#9 dgiorgetti80

dgiorgetti80

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the helpfull tips.

I managed to run HD500x edit and Monkey with WinXP on a VM (on Ubuntu 12.04).

But I have big problems in recording. I tried with Audacity and with Renoise but for both the result is the same: they see the device (POD HD500x) but the recording does not work at all (it is stuck, time does not proceed).

Anyone ever managed to use POD HD stuff also as ASIO interface on a VM?

Thanks

#10 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Isn't Linux a server thing ?  I never heard of anyone running it at home other than as a curiosity.

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

not really... there is even ubuntu studio which is a distro made entirely for music creation....

also mac osx is linux based, as well as the new chromebooks....

its more than a server thing... but not quite mainstream.

Isn't Linux a server thing ?  I never heard of anyone running it at home other than as a curiosity.

#12 dgiorgetti80

dgiorgetti80

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

For me it's the only OS since years, that's why I'm a bit disappointed I can't have my new POD HD working on it (other audio stuff usually works pretty smoothly). I don't want to go back to Win just because of that.

#13 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

According to the Ubuntu forums, Mac OSX is based on BSD Unix not Linux.  I guess you could make the connection that they are both Unix.  Although BSD is Berkley and Linux is based on the teaching version of Unix called Minix.

Sounds pretty far from mainstream on a desktop...  But I guess it must do something you like to be worth that.

#14 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Linux runs super lightweight usually and if you have the know-how it can be configured to be really, really powerful in an audio production environment...except nobody makes compatible hardware!

#15 zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

According to the Ubuntu forums, Mac OSX is based on BSD Unix not Linux.  I guess you could make the connection that they are both Unix.  Although BSD is Berkley and Linux is based on the teaching version of Unix called Minix.

Sounds pretty far from mainstream on a desktop...  But I guess it must do something you like to be worth that.

I wouldn't say that linux is based od minix.

http://en.wikipedia....MINIX_and_Linux

Anyway, this is not the place to go into that type of discussion :) .

I can only say that linux works well on a desktop or laptop (fedora, ubuntu, ,,,). It provides very much all the software and features a regular user would need (office, internet, etc). It is great for developers. It also works well for recording (Ardour), although not all hardware is supported (mainly because some manufacturers ignore it). There is also good support for graphical design / 3D modeling (blender). I am using linux as my main platform for more than 10 years now. Using windows in VM as described above only to do thing like update firmware on my hd500, which I will probablty not need to do any more based on what is happening with hd line :).

zbf

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, ubuntu, usb, connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users