Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X/Amplifi 100 comment...

Stratotron

A Facebook friend posted a picture of himself on stage and I noticed both Fulltone and Voodoo labs drives on the floor next to his HD500X. I asked...whassuup? He replied that what I saw was correct, and stated they were "in front" of the HD500X! This blew my mind, I thought "is this guy on to something? Has he found a holy grail of overdrive that has been evading me?"  I had to take a breath and settle myself, remembering, that when I had played with this guy, I had to work with him much just to bring him up to speed on simple HD editing, signal chain etc. Hence, Why in the world would you put a drive in front of a device that could literally chain six drives together. If you WERE to add a drive, why not in the effects loop? not to mention those drives aint cheap stomp boxes! I seems wrong on so many levels!!

First off, has anyone out heard of anyone putting an overdrive in front of the HD500X?

Soooooo after coming to my senses, I settled down and started editing a drive tone for this weeks set list on my Amplifi 100. Actually, I was duplicating a set of tones from my HD500X to my Amplfi 100. I have them on a bench so, I just step across the effects blocks on my HD and enter the values in to the Amplifi. My default drive tone is Classic Overdrive modeled after the Rat Fuzz. Well since my head had been swimming, I thought I needed to get a new start. I landed on Killer Z, and was re-assured that it was completely unecesessary to insert any drives in front of a Line 6 rig.

Just sharing some thoughts.....

Blessings, Strato

I put a Z.Vex Fuzz Factory, Wooly Mammoth, and/or Klon Centaur in front of my HD Pro all the time. Because we haven't modeled them (yet).

Also like to put a DL4 before the HD Pro, only because it's really easy to grab and tweak, especially for weird warbly feedback nonsense.

I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. The HD500 has serveral drives but there are still some great ones they have not modelled. The DS-1 comes to mind as well the Voodoo Labs Sparkle drive. Since they are drive they need to be up front in the chain no need to have them in the effects loop. Might want that if you wanted to add something else that benefits from being post pre-amp. Or if you using the 4 cable method you need that effects loop too.

Thank you for the replies. I am actually sort of shocked!

I have to say, I was back on my Amplifi this AM rehearsing using the Killer Z drive and can't imagine anything sounding nicer....I just haven't heard it yet.

DANG! again my mind wanders.....