Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

need a combo amp for pod hd!

chaoz

hi guys. i m very confused for now. i have a fender usa strat , pod hd bean and m audio bx5 monitors. when i got this gear i was thinking to record my things however i hate using 2 speakers . i just hate to sit to my chair while playing my music to get the right sound from the monitors and i have to power up 2 monitors every time i want to play. i hate the triangle position to hear the sound. now i m thinking to sell my m audio monitors and want to buy a combo amp. i just want to play in my room and have fun. i wonder what is the best combo amp for pod hd. i have a fender princetone 65 dsp but it changes the sound of pod hd and i cant use the double amp (stereo) thing with that amp. any ideas or recommends.. thanks.

my music style is alternative/hard rock and sometimes metal. 

I have those same M-Audio BX-5's; they have a bit of a bass push that makes mixing tricky. They sound bassier than the mix actually is, if that makes sense.

Works great for watching movies and streaming webcasts and stuff through the computer; makes mixing my multitrack recordings a bit of a mess. I am saving up some $$ for some better options. I might even start using my L2t's for mixing at home later this year, once my band winds down (guitarist /lead singer and his wife having their first child + our drummer is moving to Oregon!)

So; here's my personal experience. I currently use a DT25 1x12 combo with my HD500 when I jam with my band. I use the XLR direct out from the DT25 to the mixer, and we record multi-track (M20d), so I am able to go back and listen to my isolated signal. Sounds *stellar*. So good, that I am looking into getting another one! 

This is not the best 'home recording' option - unless you can make some serious volume at home and not make your roomate / neighbors / significant other, etc insane.

However, I had the HD500 for a few years before I grabbed the DT25 around this time last year. Prior to that, I just used solid-state Fender 1x12 combos that had an effects loop. Plug the HD500 1/4" into the FX return of the amp, and run the HD500 in studio/direct, so your direct recording tones still sound good.

I had pretty good success with getting that to work, since the fx loop return is just a direct tap into the power amp of the amplifier you are using. In my case, I paid $90 for an old Fender / CBS solid state, that was supposedly designed by Paul Rivera when he was still with CBS/ Fender before he started Rivera amps. Cool little amps! The Yale Reverb, and the 'Studio Lead'. The second amp was particularly awesome in this case - where I had the HD500 connected to the computer via USB - most amps will humm and make alot of noise in that scenario due to ground loops and such.

The oddity of the 'Studio Lead' is that - by design - the power plug is a TWO PRONG. Really, really weird, never seen that anywhere else, but the thing is sweet. Sounds decent / tube like just plugged into the front, but since I was using the HD500 as the primary tone generator, I didn't fuss much with using the Fender's preamp.

However, when I tried to jam with people, especially people with tube amps, and with drummers, and bass players, I had a heck of a time keeping up in volume... Neither of those Fenders, with the HD500 in studio/direct 'cut' through the mix, hence the DT25.

Problem with using the DT25 for home recording, is that if you Line6Link to it, the HD500 puts itself into 'combo/poweramp' mode. SO, then you can't use the HD500 USB to send recording signals anymore; not ideal. Also, in that case, if you want to use stereo effects or dual amp model chains, you would need two DT amps; which gets way expensive really quick. 

For $2k, In terms of studio gear, you could get a Kemper, or most of an Axe-FX,etc...

Anyway, for what it's worth - if you find one of these old Fender/CBS Studio Lead amps (1x12) for a good price, get it!! Makes an easy solution for using the HD500 in USB recording mode, while not costing a fortune - and playing nice with the HD500 being connected to a computer.

Fender Studio Lead

-early 1980's; mine actually says something like: "division of CBS, Fender Musical Instruments, Fullerton California"

http://www.stratopastor.org.uk/strato/amps/twoseriessolidstatefenders/Studio%20Stage%20Lead%20Manual.pdf

• Upvote 1

yes i use it like that but the main problem is triangle angles. i have to stick the same spot while playing otherwise sound gets lower.i want something portable and easy to use so i can play where ever i want. recording part is not my priority and i also have monitor headphones for recording.