Photo

Need Help With Speaker Decision & Speaker Bags

Best Answer pierrebriend , 27 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

I would like to participate to this "debate" with my own experience advertising that I have no commercial link or interest  with LINE6 or any other PA manufacturer.

My experience is that with my band 6 musicians and singers in a program of Beatles cover, we previously had 4 BOSE model 2 boosted by 2x4 + 2x2 = 12 B1 bass boxes), now we have moved to M20d + 2xL3t + 3xL2m/t (without L3s) and we have tested in a medium size room (400) the 2 configurations with the same sound source (jazz, poprock and classical) The conclusion is that the sound in color, depth, contrast, and definition  is qualified "better" by the five musicians participating to the test! That's all folks....

LINE6 configuration : 7000 €,

BOSE actual set 13 000 € ... any comment?

About the bag with rollers, I definitely consider these bags as excellent as it is saving energy when moving the gear. We are not that old, but not that young, and we have also purchased these bags designend for L3T to move our L2m, then using the extra room to carry cables and other stuf. Rolling 40 kg pack is easier than carrying, isn'it? 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pcraider

Pcraider

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I am brand new here and am purchasing a PA system for my band. I have some sound experience and usually run the board as most of you do from the stage. I am definitely purchasing the M20D but am indecisive on the speakers.
We are a 4 piece cover band(Drums,Keys, Guitar & Bass) that does all genres of music and venues. From small clubs to outdoor gigs with 2-300 people.
I'm deciding between the line 6 L3M and the Yamaha DXS15. Later adding a subwoofer of the same brand of speaker.
Now I'm old school and always have had a 15" speaker to run the band through at small gigs with everyone through the board but just the kick drum for the drummer.Will a pair of the L3M work as good as the 15" Yamaha for this? What about when I add subs? The Yamaha has a 15" powered sub that has plenty of bass you feel as well as hear. Does the L3S perform that way as well?

Thanks in advance.

PC

#2 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

My experience so far is that the L3s will outperform a lot of other subs that I have tried to date.  I find with a single L3s I can rumble every room I've used it in so far.  I had 2 (rented one) for a big conference room and you could make the argument that it was overkill. That said I am still considering getting a second one, I can just turn the volume down on the subs if it's too much.  It looks more balanced on the stage I think.  But I'm also considering taking on more sound jobs for other bands.  There may be venues that could benefit from two.  But the reality is, if you have one or two, the L3s is as good as any and better than most.

As far as 2 L3t or L3m, of course it's going to be better with a sub but they will still handle a kick drum nicely.  They will definitely sound cleaner than a 15" for everything else - vocals, guitar etc.  A single L3t/m will be pushing the limits with really low frequencies but two together will do the job.  Sonically all these line 6 speakers are amazing. I play in 3 bands and I've always provided the PA gear, now that I own this stuff they've all threatened to kill me if I get rid of these speakers.  The thing that is hard to explain unless you've done it is how great it is to use the line 6 link to connect all the speakers.  Such a time saver and it everything just works so nicely together. 

Bottom line as you've easily guessed by now, stick with the L3 speakers to go with your M20d, you won't regret it. 

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

G'day PC...

Now I'm old school and always have had a 15" speaker to run the band through at small gigs with everyone through the board but just the kick drum for the drummer.Will a pair of the L3M work as good as the 15" Yamaha for this? What about when I add subs? The Yamaha has a 15" powered sub that has plenty of bass you feel as well as hear. Does the L3S perform that way as well?

By way of "introduction", there wouldn't be many out there who are more "old school" than I am, being someone who's been very enthusiastic about (and enjoyed great service from) a huge range of Yamaha professional audio products for over four decades now.

Having said that, I'm neither associated with, nor do I have any particular loyalty to, Yamaha, Line 6 or any other supplier or manufacturer.

I just thought that it might be handy for you to have that info, so that when I respond to this post

Sonically all these line 6 speakers are amazing. I play in 3 bands and I've always provided the PA gear, now that I own this stuff they've all threatened to kill me if I get rid of these speakers.  The thing that is hard to explain unless you've done it is how great it is to use the line 6 link to connect all the speakers.  Such a time saver and it everything just works so nicely together.

with a hearty "What he said !", you'll be better able to evaluate my reaction.

To be absolutely clear, the Nexo-developed Yamaha DXR speakers and their companion DXS subs are indeed superb, so were you to go that route, you're unlikely to have anything other than fine-sounding and trouble-free service without any complaints...

...until you actually experience the additional mind-boggling flexibility offered by Line 6's digitally controlled StageSource systems.

It's my firm opinion that the extra (roughly) hundred bucks spent for an L3m over a DXR15 (or two hundred, for the amazing "stand alone" or "second unit" possibilities provided by the sonically sensational and intuitive mixer in an L3t) is an absolute "no brainer".

So if you can afford it, ...do it.

To my knowledge, there's NOTHING out there that comes even close in terms of coping with the different positional and acoustic challenges we face "on the road".

Things like gyroscopically sensing and tailoring the output for horizontal or vertical orientation ...and Line 6's unique "Smart Speaker" system that instantly "tailors" the sound to the job, by a simple selection from six "modes" that are defined in the language of "Gig", not the language of "Geek".

I'd simply say that an M20d running L6Link to StageSource speakers makes any other road rig seem bulky, inefficient and out of date.    

#4 Pcraider

Pcraider

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thank you both for the quick replies.

I'm going to go for the M20D with a pair of L3m's. I'll add the subwoofers later.

Any advice on speaker covers? I don't like the L3 case w/wheels. I'm old but not that old.

Thanks.

PC

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm old but not that old.

Well, I am that old, PC...

...and sadly, it seems that nobody yet makes a "stretchy" or "slip-on" that's long enough, while being narrow enough, to do the job.

I'd also point out that our relative ages have no bearing (excuse the pun) on the extra protection that wheels give against the G-forces that bedevil road-going electronic stage equipment.

I've seen only too often that one hard "bump" or "drop" is all it can take to instantly convert a powered speaker into a "mute" plinth.

Even though L3 enclosures undoubtedly form truly magnificent stands for Flossie and Beryl's breathtaking flower arrangements...

...it'll then be too late to wish we'd spent the extra on a case that not only provides far easier gripping options, (along with pockets to "organise" the plethora of bits 'n pieces that inevitably attend such devices) but also allows the "angled" rolling (as distinct from back-breaking "shoving") of these weighty items into the low clearance backs of the regular vehicles used by those of us who don't have the luxury of road crew.

As you can see, I'd be very surprised to hear that you ever regretted buying a Line 6 L3TM rolling bag to protect your hard-earned investment, if not your spine.

#6 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:03 AM   Best Answer

I would like to participate to this "debate" with my own experience advertising that I have no commercial link or interest  with LINE6 or any other PA manufacturer.

My experience is that with my band 6 musicians and singers in a program of Beatles cover, we previously had 4 BOSE model 2 boosted by 2x4 + 2x2 = 12 B1 bass boxes), now we have moved to M20d + 2xL3t + 3xL2m/t (without L3s) and we have tested in a medium size room (400) the 2 configurations with the same sound source (jazz, poprock and classical) The conclusion is that the sound in color, depth, contrast, and definition  is qualified "better" by the five musicians participating to the test! That's all folks....

About the bag with rollers, I definitely consider these bags as excellent as it is saving energy when moving the gear. We are not that old, but not that young, and we have also purchased these bags designend for L3T to move our L2m, then using the extra room to carry cables and other stuf. Rolling 40 kg pack is easier than carrying, isn'it? 

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's one very valuable post, Pierre...

So that others can find your great work and give you the feedback you want, might I suggest you "cut and paste" this part (most of it)...

I would like to participate to this "debate" with my own experience, while saying that I have no commercial link or interest  with LINE6 or any other PA manufacturer.

My experience is that with my band 6 musicians and singers in a program of Beatles cover, we previously had 4 BOSE model 2 boosted by 2x4 + 2x2 = 12 B1 bass boxes), now we have moved to M20d + 2xL3t + 3xL2m/t (without L3s) and we have tested in a medium size room (400) the 2 configurations with the same sound source (jazz, poprock and classical) The conclusion is that the sound in color, depth, contrast, and definition were considered "better" by the five musicians participating to the test! That's all folks....

...into a "new" topic in this support forum, ("StageScape Mixer / StageSource Speakers") preferably with a title like "StageScape & StageSource v. Bose L1 Model 2" and tags like "Line 6 v Bose", "StageSource review","speaker comparison", "systems comparison", "StageScape", "StageSource" and "M20d".

That would "Please, Please Me" ...and many others ! :)   

#8 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for comments, i will proceed to a new topic folkowibg your advise

#9 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Ron, new topic is open!

#10 casparello

casparello

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

In my opinion the bags need some adjustment: 

http://line6.com/sup...ved-first-look/

#11 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi
Thought I'd just add my experience. I found a company that makes custom covers for amps and speakers. Turns out it is situated a few streets away from where I live but that is just pure coincidence. Anyway I emailed them and asked if they could make me covers for my L2T and L2M and they could do it from the specs but as I was so near did I want to drop a speaker round.
I dropped the L2T round today at 12:30pm and they brought me back the speaker and 2 covers £35 each at 6:30. I thought they'd take a few days.
The covers slip over the top of the speaker and have a cut out for the handle to flip up for carrying. The speakers sit on there own feet.
We move our speakers on a small trolley and only lift them for placement. I can't recommend these enough for an inexpensive way to protect the speakers. £75 for two really robust padded covers. I'm delighted.
As above I have no affiliation to the company, I didn't know they existed till a short time ago.
They're on ebay and have a website and are called Hot Covers they are situated in Wishaw Scotland.
Hope this is helpful,
PP

#12 Pcraider

Pcraider

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I appreciate all the comments. Few weeks ago I went ahead and purchased the MD20 along with a pair of L3M's and one L3S. It has worked out great. I'm very happy and I've just scratched the surface of what this gear can do. As fa as the bags/covers I went ahead and purchased from Line 6 the mixer bag along with the L3M bags. They are expensive but work great. Good call on the bags with wheels. They have saved me since I won't let the other band mates touch any of my stuff yet....

PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users