Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod XT Pro, will not allow me to use FX loop?

Hi,

So a friend swent me a really neat little stereo tube preamp unit. I really want to add it to the mix in my XT Pro.

I read the manual, and it says to select the FX LOOP to "Series" instead of "Parallel". Well, I did, and under both settings, the guitar can be heard. (It shouldn't be heard when "Series" is selected)

I know the Preamp isn't in the mix because adjusting the output of it has no effect on the sound at all.

Also, the FX loop setting (According to each manual, Pre 2, 2, and 3...) should be next to the "Sutdio direct" setting under, "What are you connecting to?" menu. But it is not. That setting stands alone and is not changeable. If I scroll one more, I get "Global options" and the "FX Loop" menu is there, above a soft key, along with, "Loop Sw" and "Digiout"

I have performed every software update using Monkey as of today. Everything is up to date and functional software and hardware wise.

I do not understand this, can someone please help me?

I am not sure if this will help anyone, but the tube preamp is stereo. So my input and output from the tube preamp are both stereo 1/4" jacks.

Will this cause the XT PRO not to introduce it into the audio stream?

Also, why doesn't the audio go silent even when it "Series" selection for the FX loop? Even when the preamp is not plugged in. I can hear the guitar in series and parallel both, when the manual says I should not be able to. This is with nothing plugged into the back of the XT PRO.

Alright, so I went out and bought analog jacks to plug into the XT Pro, thinking it may have been the stereo connectors, and still, under settings, series, and parallel, I get sound output, with no change in audio loudness when I adjust the tube amp gain. (The tube amp is working, using the FX loop on my guitar amp, I am able to get a very warm, clean tone from it, the volume knob is fully functional, so it is processing the audio signal)

Well, I thought, maybe the FX loop is only for digital output. Maybe it has no effect on the analog output.

So I interfaced it into my computer, using Cubase LE, changed the audio so it was recognizing a stereo signal, strummed the guitar, and saw the levels rise on the mixer, in cubase, meaning, it was seeing output from the XT Pro.

I then hooked in the tube amp to the XT pro FX loop, and tried adjusting it's output and watching the signal graph, and it had zero effect on audio output, with either series, or parallel selected int he XT Pro.

Do I have a broken FX loop or something? What's the deal? I could understand of maybe the connecters were damaged on the inside, but according to the manual, I should have *no* sound output when "Series" is selected in the FX loop setup menu, and I have not only analog audio output, I also have digital!

What's the deal? Is there some special setting somewhere to enable the FX loop?

Have you read page 3.17 thoroughly? There are a few things you should note. The very last short paragraph is very important: the loop effect can be stored in the on or off position within a patch, so you may have the wrong setting stored in your patch. Also don't forget you can access menus from the small black button labelled "I/O Dig Select".

That page also states it only affects the analogue outputs, not the digital. In fact this is really the only use I can see for the loop, as it is last in the chain just before the stereo outputs. In your case I assume you want the valve preamp sound all the time so may as well plug the stereo out of the Pod into the input of the effect as the loop really doesn't add anything in terms of control.

Also have you thought of trying the preamp first in the chain? Is the preamp line level? Because that's what the FX Loop will be expecting. If the preamp is expecting a guitar input then I would plug your guitar in there and plug the preamp into the Pod.

Also what software version are you running? This may be why the manual does not match what you are seeing.