Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G75 -vs- G90

rjopal

I am a bass player with active and passive basses.   I use multiple instruments per show.  I need to replace my wireless units and I am wondering what the differences are between the G75 and the G90.  I know multiple bass players with the G90 and they are very happy.  I am currently using Shure ULX gear and I calibrate body packs for every show based on the basses output level.   I don't want to pull the trigger on a G90 system if I should really be looking at the G75.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

This is a great question. There are several differences:

- The G75 and G70 will handle up to 16 instruments (depending on free channels and other RF in the room) and will allow you to set a gain level, cable tone per instrument. They will also let you send each instrument to any or all of 3 outputs. You can also change the routing using built in scenes on the fly. 

- The G90 and the G70/75 both have 4 antennas but they are internal in the G70/75 and external in the G90. 

- The G70/75 will give you about the same or slightly better coverage as the G50 (assuming the G50 antennas are set up perfectly).

- The G90 will allow you to add external paddle antennas to extend its range or focus antenna coverage to certain areas. 

So the G70/75 are better for handling more than 2 instruments, but the G90 is a better choice on a very large stage.

Thank you for the very informative reply.  I have just a few follow up items.

On the G75/G70 Where are the gain and cable tone settings stored in a multi instrument scenario?   At the receiver or the transmitter? 

Same question for the G90.   On my old Shure stuff I simply have multiple transmitters and alter the gain on each of them based on the instrument in use. 

Routing changes are very cool!!

Where are you in terms of stock allocation into your distribution channels? 

The settings are stored in scenes in the receivers for G70/75.  The advantage to this is it allows you to alter settings such as gain or routing even when you don't change transmitters. For instance you can use a scene to boost the gain +12 dB for a solo without switching body packs.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The TBP12 transmitter body packs are prone to the battery door opening due to their design. This was one of the reasons that drove a redesign on the TB516 G body pack (and is stated in many product reviews as an improvement).  That alone should drive your decision.  I play upwards of 50 shows a year, and just replaced my G55 with a G75 after getting tired of having intermittent shutdowns on multiple body packs due to the door opening inside my strap pouch.  

With multiple instruments having to shut down each body pack during a show to switch basses was doable, but I am also looking forward to the ease of scene switching on the G75 and the different output levels.