Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording With Garageband

milesargall

Howdy all... Long time no drop in.

I'm doing I personal survey at Strat-talk, Line6 and Bareknucklepickups forums to get an opinion on GarageBand.

I'm very limited to my recording ability - I bought cubebase a few years ago but it wouldn't work with my laptop - I won't bore you with the details......

But GarageBand - not even on a mac but on an iPad is PERFECT for me. I have a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 36, and can go directly from the red box DI (with cab sim) to the iPad. I'm also using a Line 6 DT25/pod500 set up but not directly yet.

So what I'm asking you all is what's your opinion of the amp sounds that come directly from GarageBand?????

I'm a tone junky - absolutely hate digital processing 'tones' - but like what I hear through GarageBand.

Any opinions for someone doing basic recording??? Ie. enough to get a track down in mp3 quality - but not looking for a full on Cubebase style wav (?) form quality setup recorded with a mic in front of a Mesa boogie amp in a studio at $300 an hour.....

• 2 weeks later...

I find the GarageBand amplifiers to be just "OK." Better than many less exepnsive apps, but It is definitely easy to tell that it is not a real amp. The Line 6 POD HD series sounds a lot more real and lively. I have used both.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I love the Orange amp in Garageband.  I've use it for several songs I've recorded.  Here's a couple examples - do these (gutiar sounds) sound "digital" or "fake" to you? 

http://shinyheadmusic.bandcamp.com/track/resonance-2

The guitars are all from my Variax 600 (now traded up for a JTV-69) played into Garageband, with amp emulation.  The lead tone is the orange amp after a HD500 patch that included ONLY the Fassel Wah.  

http://shinyheadmusic.bandcamp.com/track/tonights-the-night-2

This song was recorded on the iPad 1, except for the solo, which I recorded on my Mac, using the orange amp/Fassel again.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I love the Orange amp in Garageband.  I've use it for several songs I've recorded.  Here's a couple examples - do these (gutiar sounds) sound "digital" or "fake" to you? 

http://shinyheadmusic.bandcamp.com/track/resonance-2

The guitars are all from my Variax 600 (now traded up for a JTV-69) played into Garageband, with amp emulation.  The lead tone is the orange amp after a HD500 patch that included ONLY the Fassel Wah.  

http://shinyheadmusic.bandcamp.com/track/tonights-the-night-2

This song was recorded on the iPad 1, except for the solo, which I recorded on my Mac, using the orange amp/Fassel again.

Dave

Yes they sound "digital" and "fake" to me, BUT....VERY GOOD JOB! I to like the Orange amp in Garage Band. I use it for rhythm guitar work all the time! I haven't had much success using them with a lead tone. I can't even get it to sound "digital" and "fake". It just sounds awful! BTW, I don't think that "digital" or "fake" is a bad thing. To me the question I ask is "does the tone I am getting enhance the song or kill it?" The tone you use on those songs work for those songs. So who cares if it sounds "digital" or "fake"? In context, they sound just fine!