Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Random Glitches

Last couple of gigs I've just had some weird things happening.

1.  Monitor mix C is on a L2 through Line6 Link.  During sound check a channel of audio that should be at ZERO is coming through the monitor loud and clear.  Tried all the stupid things (pinged the speaker and I had everything correct).  Couldn't figure it out so I tried just deleting the monitor and re-installing.  Worked like a champ after that.

2. One of the drum overhead mic channels had a terrible static noise constantly through the channel.  Took the sound guy a while to isolate where it was coming from.  Didn't have another mic so I tried just deleting the channel and then reinstalling.  Worked like a champ after that.

3.  Coming back from break after an excellent first set. M20D had been on with Mute all selected during break.  Start into the first song and 2 of the 3 vocal mics silent. Nothing showing on the input levels.  M20D head semi-frozen.  Most of the encoders are acting like on/off switches; selecting either almost zero or almost max with no selectable values between.   Had to stop 30 seconds into the first song (not cool).  Re-cycled power on the M20d.  First time, no-workee.  Second power recycle and it worked fine for the rest of the night.

I've had some random glitches before but over the last two nights we've had some literal show stoppers.

We were working off of a generator.  Seemed like everything else in the band was working fine off of it so I don't know if that could be anything.

I'm a big fan of the M20D as a concept and when it all works it's light years ahead of what we used to use.  But if I had something to wish for, it would be more bulletproof operation.

We were working off of a generator.  Seemed like everything else in the band was working fine off of it so I don't know if that could be anything.

Any hiccup of power can easily cause trouble with digital devices. I've seen computers just get wonky (sometimes hours later) after a very quick power flicker.

I'm going to use a small Tripp-Lite UPS on my M20d from now on just for good measure.

In March, we'll play a generator-powered gig at a large winery nearby. For that I'll add the Furman AR-117 regulator to run the entire band. A left-over from my studio, the unit provides a steady 117VAC with 90-140v input. With that and the UPS on the M20d we should be fine. (I don't lug that 11-pound Furman unit to non-generator gigs; the UPS is fine for locations powered by the usual AC mains.)

(As Don said, the M20d accepts 90-240VAC, but its power supply isn't immune to sudden dips below 90v, so the UPS and/or regulator aren't a bad idea.)

I'm sure they use a large generator since this winery runs similar events a few times a year, and they've done so successfully for several years. But why take chances?