Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Slash-type Marshall sound.

Have tried countless patches from customtone, never found anyone I could use.

And its unlikely that you ever will. Customtone is a nice idea in theory, but translates poorly into reality. There are simply too many variables involved to expect a patch to sound the same from one player to the next. Type of guitar used, string gauge, playing style, what pieces make up the rest of the rig, and most importantly the ears doing the listening, make it all but impossible for any "drag and drop" tone solutions to work.

Just because the guy who created the patch thought that it nailed Satriani's tone 100%, doesn't mean that it won't sound like The Ramones when I load it up. Starting from scratch is the only thing that is ever gonna work for tone matching.

• Upvote 2

I find customtone very helpful - even if it only gives me a place to 'start' sculpting a tone.

@tormod1, there are loads of sites that will give you chapter & verse on Slash's gear so I would suggest looking at that and then putting your own tone together. You have all the tools you need with your dream rig so im guessing start with a Lester guitar and a Marshall amp - although I sometimes feel that the Park amp gives me a more authentic Marshall sound!

As crusinion2 says, Its the ears that do the hearing. Experimenting is fun! Even if it does annoy my wife!

And its unlikely that you ever will. Customtone is a nice idea in theory, but translates poorly into reality. There are simply too many variables involved to expect a patch to sound the same from one player to the next. Type of guitar used, string gauge, playing style, what pieces make up the rest of the rig, and most importantly the ears doing the listening, make it all but impossible for any "drag and drop" tone solutions to work.

Just because the guy who created the patch thought that it nailed Satriani's tone 100%, doesn't mean that it won't sound like The Ramones when I load it up. Starting from scratch is the only thing that is ever gonna work for tone matching.

True to a certain point. Though if you are looking for something as specific as a Slash tone, you can at least get a bundle to start wit if you are not comfortable with starting from scratch which I agree is the best way ro go.

Which amp model is nearest to what Slash used on Appetite? I read somewhere they dialed in his Marshall and left it that way for the whole record! I guess, JCM800, maybe some Plexi. You should be able to get it most of the way there with amp model, gain, eq, cabinet, and mic model settings before touching any FX. Avoid compression until you get the cranked amp sound dialed in.

As far as future amp model requests, the modified Marshall JCM800 head, owned by S.I.R. and rented by Slash for the Appetite recording session known as "Stock #39" would make for an awesome JCM800 model option..

This makes for an interesting read!

http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/amps/the-appetite-amp-story/sweet-marshall-o-mine/

"So exactly what model Marshall was #39? Although records are not perfect with respect to the year that the amp was manufactured, it is known that the amp was a 100W Marshall Super Tremolo (Model 1959T), built sometime between 1965 and 1973. The amp was a hand-wired, pre-master volume model, although it is unclear whether the head was of the “Plexi†variety (’65 through mid-’69) or the later “Metal Panel†variety (mid-’69 through mid-’73, since Marshall replaced hand-wiring with printed circuit boards in mid-’73). The head was modified by a service/repair tech who worked for S.I.R. throughout the 1980s into 1985 (more to come on him later).

In short, the modification consisted of adding an extra pre-amp gain stage. A master-volume control was also part of the modification to #39, since the amp was a pre-master volume model.

The modification made the Marshall very overdriven, essentially leaving it with extremely limited clean-tone (non-distorted) capabilities. This is where the *other* amp previously mentioned – the JCM 800 that has also been connected to the “Appetite†sessions – might fit into the puzzle. I think that the JCM 800 was probably used on all of Slash’s clean guitar parts in “Appetite†(yes, there *were* some clean parts). It is also possible that the JCM 800 was used by Slash on some of “Appetite’s†rhythm parts. However, I believe that it is highly likely that #39 was used by Slash on the vast majority, if not the entirety, of his lead/solo work on “Appetite.â€

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...