Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch mixer settings: best practices for Mono patches?

eightthree

I haven't paid much attention to this in the past, but the more I read the more I'm wondering if maybe I missed something – so I thought I'd ask just to be sure. What's the best way to pan the HD500X's channels at the mixer for Mono output?

Panning both channels to the center seems to give a noticeable volume increase when using the left (mono) 1/4" output, but I've noticed most stock patches and even the default "new tone" patch are all hard-panned left/right. Is that just because Line 6 wants to showcase the stereo capabilities of the HD?

For the most part, I run my HD500X into a mono PA using the left 1/4" output plugged into a DI, so I'm really looking for the best way of setting up patches for that scenario. That said, I'm curious about how it would/should differ when using only the left XLR output as well. And do the rules change if I'm using a dual tone patch vs. a single-amp?

I haven't paid much attention to this in the past, but the more I read the more I'm wondering if maybe I missed something – so I thought I'd ask just to be sure. What's the best way to pan the HD500X's channels at the mixer for Mono output?

Panning both channels to the center seems to give a noticeable volume increase when using the left (mono) 1/4" output, but I've noticed most stock patches and even the default "new tone" patch are all hard-panned left/right. Is that just because Line 6 wants to showcase the stereo capabilities of the HD?

For the most part, I run my HD500X into a mono PA using the left 1/4" output plugged into a DI, so I'm really looking for the best way of setting up patches for that scenario. That said, I'm curious about how it would/should differ when using only the left XLR output as well. And do the rules change if I'm using a dual tone patch vs. a single-amp?

I guess you're right with Line 6 showing the stereo function of the unit.

When I first got my own unit about a year ago, I always used the 1/4" into a DI. But I think if you have like reverb effect at the end of the chain, there would be no or very little audible difference when using one XLR instead of the mono summing 1/4" output. 

Nowadays I only use one XLR output from the unit itself because I moved to doing the dual cab technique which greatly improved my direct tone. I tend to put a noise gate with neutral settings at the very end of the chain to force the signal to mono. You can do this too to your single amp patches, that is if you still have one effect block left to use.

Thanks to you both! I don't feel like I've completely wraped my brain around all of this, so the tips definitely help. I'm also curious about how the effects loop plays into this picture. I typically run my effects loop after the amp(s) & mixer blocks, but only using the L/mono send & return. Does the effects loop sum everything to mono as well? Seems to me that if that's the case, that could be my "mono summing effect at the end" that you're referring to. If that's the case, would using a stereo effect (like a reverb) after the effects loop put my signal back into stereo mode again?

Thanks to you both! I don't feel like I've completely wraped my brain around all of this, so the tips definitely help. I'm also curious about how the effects loop plays into this picture. I typically run my effects loop after the amp(s) & mixer blocks, but only using the L/mono send & return. Does the effects loop sum everything to mono as well? Seems to me that if that's the case, that could be my "mono summing effect at the end" that you're referring to. If that's the case, would using a stereo effect (like a reverb) after the effects loop put my signal back into stereo mode again?

1. Yes. The effects loop, if used only the mono return, will sum your signal to mono.

2. Also yes. Placing the reverb after the fx loop block will make your signal stereo again.