Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 replacement nut

As I mentioned on another thread, a nut intended for a traditional Strat neck is going to be (a) too wide for a JTV-69 and (b) have the strings too far apart.  You can fix (a) with sanding, but not (b).  At a minimum, you are likely to have issues with the high and low slipping off the frets when played near the nut.

First of all, Thanks for replying to this new thread. :)

Unfortunately I am unable to ad a link the ebay address... the link popup window appears, I past the link, hit OK... nothing happens... ?

The seller specifies that the nut is:

Length 44.81

Width    3.30

Height   6.48

E to E    34.59

The best measurements that I can take off my existing nut, are:  (mm)

Length 41.30

Width   3.25

Height  4.81

E to E   35.23

Is this the same on your JTV or have I got something different from original specs?

I must add that the guitar it's Korean built.

Proclamations about "authorized service centers" being the only places capable of servicing JTVs nothwithstanding, any luthier who's half awake should be able to cut and/or sand any nut you want to fit your JTV. Should not be a terribly expensive job, and it will save you from having to comb half the internet to find an OEM nut.

I have taken the plunge with the Ebay nut, I believe it will be just fine after sanding.  The E to E spacing will only be only 0.32mm narrower from the current position.  For under £9 delivered it is worth trying.

I have given up taking my guitars to so called "guitar tech" people, after a horrible experience with an highly recommended one.  What a cowboy he is!

Now I decided to invest in some basic setup tools, I am capable of achieving better result than some "guitar tech", I will be enjoying the experience too. :)

No worries snhirsch  ;).

I went to www.graphtec.com to verify the measurements listed on ebay and they are correct.  there are instructions on how to mount the TUSQ nut, quite simple really.  I also purchased a set of "Hiroshima nut files", as I have 4 more guitars to deal with.  I am quite excited to start working on them... can't wait! :D

I will take some photos when I start the job and upload them on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I replaced the nut with the one mentioned above. All went smoothly, but I did have a couple of strings giving me a problem with some overtone at the beginning, these where eliminated by properly anglein the cut.

The replacement nut comes longer than required and a little too tall, nothing a file can't handle.

I do have a couple of photos that I could upload but can't see a way to insert a link to photobucket.