Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port - what makes it inferior to the Studio series?

when readers visit the line 6 site for the software tab, that page says Line 6 recommends the Studio series and above.

is this to say that the converters and/or latency is inferior to that of the studio series?

i am trying desperately to make a DAW guitar rig, as SMALL as possible. the size if the Sonic Port sure fits in with my plan to be small. 

I have a smokin' laptop and will buy Pod Farm. so, all i need is a good SMALL input, with no latency issues. Sonic Port or GX?

for me, even the GX is a little too big. is the Sound Port going to get me to my DAW well (where I will have good pre's and FX's waiting)?

or, are there reasons why I may want to just get that smallest Studio series (the GX).

please comment..

Based on your plan to use a laptop and to buy Pod Farm I think the GX is a better choice. It includes the basic version of Pod Farm. If you plan to buy Pod Farm Platinum there is a reduced upgrade cost. It allows you to record a dry signal into your laptop DAW and use Pod Farm as a plugin. As for portability, the GX is about the size of your fist - probably smaller.

Sonic Port is designed more for mobile devices and includes the Mobile Pod software, which is not as powerful or flexible as Pod Farm and will not run as a plugin on your laptop. On the plus side the Sonic Port VX model includes mics while the GX does not.

If you wanted to record jam sessions with yer buds on an iPAD in your backyard in a single stereo take I would recommend the Sonic Port VX with Mobile Pod. For more traditional studio based recording using PC/MAC, standard mics, and multi-tracking using plugins you're better off with the Studio series and Pod Farm.